• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Problems

KD_98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I have a 98 Cherokee, automatic, np231
Lately it has had some problems with losing power while driving, I'll be driving along and the rpms wont go up up where they normally would be and it will have no power to the wheels. Usually letting off the gas and pushing back down once or twice brings it back.
In the last couple days it seems to have started to have problems shifting. I'll pull up to a stop and when I try to go again it will be in neutral and the rpms go up then it switches gears and moves. It usually takes a couple seconds to do so. Occasionally while im driving it will shift and I'll just lose power and be coasting then It'll lurch into gear.
When the first problem started a while back I replaced IAC, O2s, and cleaned the TB which helped it with its rough idle and bad response but it is now back at it. CEL says im running lean and there were a couple O2 codes but I replaced both sensors twice so I assumed something else was causing it to throw those codes.
Not positive if the two issues are related, any help is appreciated 👍

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maybe the throttle position sensor. Mine did something similar; e.g. driving normally then a loss of power, no acceleration at all. No CEL either. Once i replaced the TPS, i was good again.

Maybe the throttle position sensor. Mine did something similar; e.g. driving normally then a loss of power, no acceleration at all. No CEL either. Once i replaced the TPS, i was good again.
Forgot to mention I also replaced the tps, i knew I was forgetting something

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And your tranny oil level is good?

I would also check your TC to make sure it is locking up. Pretty simple to do.

maybe the solenoids ,how many miles on it ? my brother & i both have 98's w/ about 140 k both needed them replaced. had similiar problems.

Back