• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Swap Input

Like I said, never mind. I have nothing constructive to add.

simply put, the idea that a 4.88 Ring and pinion is weaker than a 4.56 ring and pinion is internet bullshit.

yes the contact patch is smaller, however the additional leverage gained by the reduction negates any loss of strength.

I wouldn't bother rotating the Cs on a 30.
once you lift it, set the caster where it needs to be. drive it.
if it vibrates start rotating the pinion up small amounts until it doesn't.

my biggest advice for you going to 35"s is to skip 4.88s and go to 5.13s

Like I said, never mind. I have nothing constructive to add.

:laugh:

If this thread bothers you, stay off FB and out of the XJ groups over there. Your head will literally pop off and your blood pressure will be off the chart.

simply put, the idea that a 4.88 Ring and pinion is weaker than a 4.56 ring and pinion is internet bullshit.

yes the contact patch is smaller, however the additional leverage gained by the reduction negates any loss of strength.

I wouldn't bother rotating the Cs on a 30.
once you lift it, set the caster where it needs to be. drive it.
if it vibrates start rotating the pinion up small amounts until it doesn't.

my biggest advice for you going to 35"s is to skip 4.88s and go to 5.13s

Thank you for the info on the C's

*If* I run in to issues with this setup the front will be replaced with a D44 as well and I may run 5.13s. Only thing I'm thinking of however; this is not going to be a trailered XJ. I want to be able to drive it.

Nooooooooooooo FB for me! I'll stick with having some of the "better stories" recanted on the trail.

4.88 make for a weak d30 r&p, 4.56 would be fine w/ 35's, 35 spline chromo in rear is way overkill, 30 spline chromos is plenty strong enuff, detriot locker rear & e-locker front would save some money, i would 3 link the front & do 1 ton otk steering , imo

:laugh:

If this thread bothers you, stay off FB and out of the XJ groups over there. Your head will literally pop off and your blood pressure will be off the chart.

Thank you for the info on the C's

*If* I run in to issues with this setup the front will be replaced with a D44 as well and I may run 5.13s. Only thing I'm thinking of however; this is not going to be a trailered XJ. I want to be able to drive it.

I am sure you will find a pinion angle/caster combination that works well enough.

like I said start with your caster in spec and move from there.

I am sure you will find a pinion angle/caster combination that works well enough.
This is true, at least at the 5.5" the OP mentioned in his first post. Why do I say this? I ran an RE 4.5" lift for years with a LP D30 with no real problems. I had/have adjustable uppers and lowers, no drop brackets.

Nooooooooooooo FB for me! I'll stick with having some of the "better stories" recanted on the trail.

:cheers:

like I said start with your caster in spec and move from there.

You're right, doesn't mean I can't overthink it. :D

This is true, at least at the 5.5" the OP mentioned in his first post. Why do I say this? I ran an RE 4.5" lift for years with a LP D30 with no real problems. I had/have adjustable uppers and lowers, no drop brackets.

I ran a 5" lift on an HP 30 w/adjustable short arms and it worked well.

The reason for my question is I am trying to build this thing right and am trying not to leave any stone un-turned. This XJ is going to be in my family for a long time.

I'm not going to turn the C's, I'm going to also weld the spring perches on the back in the stock location, if I need to, I'll shim it out.

If you are cleaning off the original coil buckets anyway rotating the Cs is actually pretty easy. Cut off wheels make a small cut and easy to re-weld. Took me a total of 4 hours for both sides. Rotated back 4 deg. To keep the vibes down when getting to the good trails. I don't have a trailer queen, and I drive it almost everyday.

If you are cleaning off the original coil buckets anyway rotating the Cs is actually pretty easy. Cut off wheels make a small cut and easy to re-weld. Took me a total of 4 hours for both sides. Rotated back 4 deg. To keep the vibes down when getting to the good trails. I don't have a trailer queen, and I drive it almost everyday.

What size lift? What control arm setup are you running?

Thanks for the input!!!

Back