• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Price

Prowler

NAXJA Forum User
How much can I get my radiator and stuff flushed for? I need to make the trip to OK. like stated before.

Anyone have tips for me to keep the jeep running? (besides a lot of pee breaks)

Should I pop the hood at pee breaks to let heat out?

The jeep has 203,000 and rides rim of 210 alittle under and a little over back and forth on me.

210 is where the 4.o is comfortable, you're right where you should be. as for the price of a flush, you just have to call around, different shops charge differently. you could just do it yourself, but if you get caught flushing all kinds of coolant all over the ground its a hefty fine. most of what you pay to a shop to flush n fill goes towards disposal of the old coolant and the price of new stuff, they dont usually charge too much for the labor as its an easy job.

Ya I know I could do it myself, But I want to make sure the job is done right for this 5 1/2 hour trip with this old beater. I'm actually quite nervous about the trip. I am going to change my oil and stuff by myself but other then that I want them to do the rest.

So what am I looking around? Just any estimate would be good. I am in a money crisis.

I don't know what year of XJ, the newer ones 210 is the standard temp.
Unless the coolant is some off color of green, I wouldn't bother changing it. If it didn't freeze last winter, the glycol level is likely in the ball park.

Hey Grimm, He's in IOWA. No problems there. I would catch the old stuff so your or your neighbor's dog/cat doesn't get into it, dilute it and if you're in the city, flush it down the crapper.

Otherwise for price, how would we know what a local charges? Whip out the 'ol phone book and ask around.

Last edited:
I would but it's 12:30 am.
I know that the jeep runs at 210.
And also I no my coolent is good but I am putting on my brx silicone heater and radiator hoses. So I will have to drain anyways.

Coolant flushes on the machine run around $90, new rad is $100 + $14 for two gallons of coolant and $2.25 for two gallons of distilled water at the food store and $6 for a new cap.
I'd rather spend $123 on a new rad myself. Those fast coolant flushes have never impressed me.

RichP said:
Coolant flushes on the machine run around $90, new rad is $100 + $14 for two gallons of coolant and $2.25 for two gallons of distilled water at the food store and $6 for a new cap.
I'd rather spend $123 on a new rad myself. Those fast coolant flushes have never impressed me.

See I would but im in a time crisis and money crisis

Prowler said:
See I would but im in a time crisis and money crisis

Rad replacement takes about an hour in the driveway, price diff is $40, your choice. Every time I have used fast flushes, either home style or machine I've ended up replacing the water pump as it seems to start leaking within a few days. Maybe I just had bad karma...
The only thing I use the sun machine for is to pull the old stuff out, I never use the flushing feature. I refill with 7 hour flush and water, drive it for the time specified and then pull it out. Then refill coolant and distilled water. Though I am putting a new rad in the XJ tomorrow.

a galon of white vinegar works well to help loosen any crud in the cooling system. I was a bit low on coolant and added a gallon of vinigar to it and within a week the coolant was a dirty brown color from the rust deposit inside the system. I followed up with a flush and all was well after that.

now its a yearly ritual to try to make up for the prior owners neglect.

Ok, So does anyone have any advice for me when I stop for pee breaks that could help the jeep stayin strong? (like popping hood?) What things should I check and look for? ect...

It will cool better if it stays running and circulating the coolant. You should also make sure your tranny fluid is clean, that makes it run alot cooler.
I just flushed my rad. I got a fitting from the hardware store that had a 3/4 inch nipple on one end and screwed onto the garden hose with the other end. I just pulled the heater hose off the t-stat housing and hooked the hose to it and let it flush for about 15 minutes.

You might want to replace your fan clutch if you haven't in a while. They are only about $40.

Prowler said:
Ok, So does anyone have any advice for me when I stop for pee breaks that could help the jeep stayin strong? (like popping hood?) What things should I check and look for? ect...

Unless your Jeep has some history of overheating you're not telling us about or you will be pulling some enormous load, like another car... You shouldn't be worrying so much.
I almost never pay any attention to the cooling system. I think I drained it once, 4 years ago when I replaced the leaking OEM radiator (It had 132K when I got it). I haven't encountered any overheating on long trips, stays right at 210 no matter how fast, slow or far I am going.

I detect a bit of paranoia about your Jeep. Perhaps you should be taking something else? :D Seriously though... If your Jeep normally uses oil, then I'd check it at intervals. Other than that, I usually do a walk around while I'm fueling to make sure nothing is leaking that shouldn't and that all 4 tires are perfectly round.

It goes over 210 some times but not past the second to last line into red. It will stay in there then go back to 210 then back up so right below 210.
It is all over.

Will that fan clutch do the trick? What does a fan clutch do?

You may have a sticky thermostat.

Fan clutches sit beween the fan blades and a drive pulley and when the engine is cool, allow the fan to freewheel and not draw HP from the engine. When the radiator gets hot, the clutch engages and the fan cools the radiator.

When the engine is cold, and off, you should be able to grab the fan and turn it without a bunch of effort.

If it won't turn, it's bad. If it's sloppy, it's bad. If the engine get's hot with the AC off, when running intown and it cools off on the hwy, it's likely bad.

Back