• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my steering box/pitman arm ok? Please help. --pic--

IndyXJ

Member #1314
I have a 99 XJ and this is an aftermarket pitman arm put on during the lift back in July of 04. I think it came with my Full Traction kit, I am not sure, sorry. Maybe this is something I never noticed and seen a million times, but while fixing my drag link adjustment, I saw my pitman are and right above it you can see "splines?" coming out of the steering box. Is this normal and okay? The large nut is on tight,etc. I do know the area is a little wet/weepy but I don't have any drips,etc. Sorry for the 1.5megapixel pic, but all I could get. Please help with anything and a pic of your own if you want to be so industrious!

THANKS!!! :wave:

pitman3.JPG

Thanks. I was just having panic attacks(not literally, lol) that my PA would fall off and I would have no steering and come to a fiery demise on some Hoosier backroad. So, seeing "splines" is okay? On some rigs is it even visible,etc?
On a side note, I did something I never did before and that was adjusted my draglink. I know that's rudimentary to some, but it was cool to actually add one more thing I can do myself. Steering wheel is great now. It's one thing to look at it on the web, but makes alot more sense when one digs in and does it.

IndyXJ said:
Thanks. I was just having panic attacks(not literally, lol) that my PA would fall off and I would have no steering and come to a fiery demise on some Hoosier backroad. So, seeing "splines" is okay? On some rigs is it even visible,etc?
On a side note, I did something I never did before and that was adjusted my draglink. I know that's rudimentary to some, but it was cool to actually add one more thing I can do myself. Steering wheel is great now. It's one thing to look at it on the web, but makes alot more sense when one digs in and does it.

its all downhill from there

little less than a year ago i was asking how to do that

3 months ago i spend 40 hours and 1200 on a new front axle :D

Wow, funny thing you chimed in cuz your write up is what I used as the guide! Your commentary is amusing on the site,etc. Anyway, yeah your website helped me today, the check is in the mail...

Back