• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another wheel / tire selection thread

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I hate these threads as much as anyone but i'm hoping I can get some input on which way to go on wheels and hopefully it will end up being some half decent search material. There is a bit of a tech bent to what I'm asking...

I bought tires to go with the 5" lift: Truxus MTs in 265/75-R16. In float sizes that works out to roughly 32x10.5x16.

I didn't want to go to a larger tire than that because I was worried about making the Jeep too un-daily-driver-friendly. That plus, I like the look of that size tire in the stock wheel openings. Yeah, I'm fussy that way.

Made the "mistake" of weighing the tire. Unmounted it comes to 58 lbs! For kicks I weighed a 35" BFG MT I had lying around and it was lighter at 52 lbs. Amazing! You see lots of sidewall sliced BFGs on the trail but I didn't think there would be that much of a difference in the carcass especially given the tire sizes.

So, getting to the point finally (geez, does this guy ever stfu?), I'm worried about all that tire weight on a daily driver Jeep.

Should I get some alloy wheels?

The ARE767 in 15x8 that I have kicking around is 28 lbs. I need new 16x8 wheels anyway...will an alloy meant for Jeep/truck use really be much lighter?

I prefer the look/cost/durability of steel at this point but if the difference is real I'll spend the money to get new alloy wheels.

Am I going to have big braking issues with this much weight at the tires? Should I be looking to upgrade the brakes sooner than later? (Jeep is a 2001) How do you guys running 35s find the braking?

At this point I'm really not interested in running a second set of BFG ATs or similar since I've got a lot of money into the tires and they haven't even touched the ground under power yet.

Any insights, comments, experiences appreciated.

r@m

Anything other than a forged aluminum wheel will typically be near the same weight as steel. With those your talking a lot of money, but they are as strong as steel while being much lighter. As far as used stuff, you rlooking at pretty much any alum. offered on 3/4 and 1 tons. New stuff, Weld, Centerline, Alcoa. Note some of these are not forged, but cast just like most of the other manufacturers. I myself am looking for some early/mid 90's Ford 1/2 ton wheels. Some of them were forged, much smoother finish being the only obvious clue other than weight.

with alloys, you may still break an axle but, it will help a bit. It will last longer( iam assuming you have a chrys 8.25???)

Back