• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock noise from axle tube when braking - last attempt

greenlawnjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve posted this before and I’ve gotten answers like driveshaft u-joints (ain’t that), bushings (ain’t that) vent tube (ain’t that) etc. What I’ve found out is that others have the same problem so someone’s gotta know! Please! Vehicle has 40K miles. I put new (Raybestos) drums and shoes on the rear in December. All was OK till a couple of months ago. When braking to a stop, especially when going slow, there is a knocking type sound that seems to be coming from the rear axle tube between the rear end and the brake housing. I put a heater hose to my ear and that is when the knocking/pounding is coming from. Pulling the drum all looks OK. I pulled the shoes and springs, put them back with no effect. Seems only from the passenger side. No sound when driving. Only when the brakes are applied. In a couple of instances, the sound disappeared for a day or two after I did something – like when I bled the system and after I put on new rear wheel cylinders. Noise is not suspension related. It’s related to the braking system. It’s not the hub/drum issue like the ‘97’s have either. The wheel studs are contacting the drum properly. Last attempt at diagnosis before (dread) bringing it to someone.

rear axle? D35/ 8 1/4?
do you have a limited slip? could it be the clutch packs? if the noise is coming from the axle tube, I would look for binding in the carrier or hub end. check the bearings? I havent heard of anything like this before.
But more importantly, how did you have a piece of hose on it while you where braking?

Ludakris said:
rear axle? D35/ 8 1/4?
do you have a limited slip? could it be the clutch packs? if the noise is coming from the axle tube, I would look for binding in the carrier or hub end. check the bearings? I havent heard of anything like this before.
But more importantly, how did you have a piece of hose on it while you where braking?

I have LS and I drained the axle and put in new Mobil 1 and an additive thinking that may have been the problem. I dumped the factory lube at 20K and put in Mobil 1 (with an additive). I had both rear wheels jacked up, my wife in the drivers seat getting ready to hit the brakes fully if it fell and one wheel hit the ground, and my head under the gas tank with the hose. I would think if it were the bearings, I would hear some sort of a noise when cruising? Its the shty D35 with ABS brakes. Thanks

yeah, i would think bearings would go with speed as well. I was just trying to think of what would be affected in that area. something is being "torqued" by the breaks. maybe the shock on that side? I dont know, i am stumped...

Ludakris said:
yeah, i would think bearings would go with speed as well. I was just trying to think of what would be affected in that area. something is being "torqued" by the breaks. maybe the shock on that side? I dont know, i am stumped...

I have Edelbrock IAS shocks ready to go on but I'm soaking those bolts so they don't get snapped off like I've read about. It's gotta be brake specific related. Even when you're going so real freakin' slow and hardly touching the brakes, the knock is there - and let me tell you, it sounds sometimes like the axle tube is going to vibrate right out of the housing. I was thinking about the ABS system?

Are you sure you got the leading and trailing brake shoes in the right places?

The problem may have been solved. I had both drums cut even though they were new Raybestos and had only a couple thousand miles on them. They were put on in 12/03. The guy that cut them at first said, I can’t cut these, they’re at the minimum. I told him they were almost new! He then said the Chrysler drum start out with no “meat” to cut. He cut them and said they were “way out!” I also beveled, just a bit, the outer edge of the brake shoe since it looked like it was contacting the drum. The drum was shiny around the edge. I also didn’t like the way the passenger side adjusting hardware was contacting the star-adjusting wheel. Actually, it appeared it wasn’t contacting the wheel. So far, and I’ve been lulled before into believing I’ve fixed it, it is now OK!

I think Digger 87 called this one. Thanks, buddy.

Back