• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission & Solenoid

BSD

NAXJA Forum User
New to the site. I have been lurking for a couple of weeks as well as searching the forums. My transmission has been acting up and I think, with the help of a search and previous posts, that the problem is that it is not the torque convertor is not locking up. Seems like the two main culprits would be the TPS and the #3 solenoid. Here are my questions.
First, I have an 88 xj, auto, comfort / power switch tranny. I am almost certain it is an AW4 but am not certain. I crawled underneath and could not see an identifying tag. Is this correct? Is there a number on the VIN that would give it away?
Second, assuming it is the #3 solenoid, where exactly is it located? I am unclear if I need to pull the pan to acess it to test it with an ohm meter.
Thanks for the advice
BSD

To save me some time, if I disconnect the TCU will it default to having the torque convertor locked up. I assume this might be the case since doing so - from my understanding - forces you to shift through the gears manually. Is there any potential for damage by me doing this?
Thanks
BSD

Back