• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Viper Alarm won't disarm. Don't know where else to go

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys

I wasn't sure where to post this since to get a good response so forgive me if I posted in the wrong section.

So my 97 XJ has the Viper 791XV Alarm + Remote start in it. I had it installed in 2004. Gifu Buys did the install so obviously I can't go there to have them look at it because they don't exist anymore. Anywhere else will be $100+ just to figure out what is wrong. I couldn't find any forums dedicated to alarm systems either.

My problem is my alarm locked itself with the keys in the Jeep a few days ago. Then in a parking lot it kept going off for no reason. Then yesterday I locked the Jeep and then I went to unlock it it would not respond. It stayed armed and did nothing when I hit the unlock button. It would still respond if I tapped the lock button but not the unlock button. I took a fuse out of the wiring harnes for it so I could start the Jeep and drive it home. I need help from someone familiar with Viper alarms. I know DEI who makes it makes dozens of other brand names that are almost identical so maybe I can buy a new alarm but a less expensive name and plug into the harness if I'm lucky enough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would take a look for ya but you're too far away.

If you purchased a new one and swapped iot in GENERALLY speaking the harnesses should be the same in the same "class" but if you bought a remote start only/alarm only it may not match up.

I assume you don't have a second remote? you may be able to find the disarm wire for the alarm and ground it out forcing the "brain" to disarm. Some models work like this some only work from the remote. If that works cool. but sounds like you need to pair a new remote to it.

Dumb question.....did you replace the battery in the remote?:)

I would take a look for ya but you're too far away.

If you purchased a new one and swapped iot in GENERALLY speaking the harnesses should be the same in the same "class" but if you bought a remote start only/alarm only it may not match up.

I assume you don't have a second remote? you may be able to find the disarm wire for the alarm and ground it out forcing the "brain" to disarm. Some models work like this some only work from the remote. If that works cool. but sounds like you need to pair a new remote to it.

I looking at an Avital Alarm that had a remote that had the same looking LCD screen and from different photos of box contents the brains and harness looked to be the same.

I actually did have a second remote that I tried when I got home. I had the original remote that stopped doing the 2-way function. I had gotten a Python remote that is nearly identical in every way to the Viper remote and since it is all DEI brands they work with each other, which is why I wondered if the other cheaper DEI brands were nearly the same as far as the harness because I would just swap in the new brain and remote and gone on with my life.

I tried the old remote and it would still unlock the Jeep. The Python remote I had been using had been run over back many years ago and the screen was cracked and no longer showing a display but aside from that, the remote worked just fine. So I am assuming that the long term effects of the damage are now being seen. I am using the original Viper remote for now and plan to get another one here soon.

After looking into the Avital though, I think I want to put it in my Wife's 02 WJ Limited. Apparently there is some sort of other vehicle brain that taps into the BUS system in the WJ and reduces the amount of factory wire harness spices that I need to do but I haven't figured it out 100%.

Dumb question.....did you replace the battery in the remote?:)

The thought did cross my mind but it is a fairly new battery and these 2 way pager remotes actually signal you when the battery starts dying. The alerts of a low battery are quite annoying and won't quit until I replace it so I am usually good to replace it right away.

There were some antennas that were heat sensitive and could eventually fail in the heat.

First thing. Are you familiar with the operation of the valet switch built into the antenna typically at the top of the windshield behind the rear view mirror? If the alarm won't disarm, unlock and open the door. Be aware the alarm will start sounding. Insert ignition key and turn on ignition. Immediately press and release valet switch. Alarm should disarm 5 seconds later.

You can also use the switch to disable the alarm if you don't feel confident that it will respond to the remote. With the door open, turn the ignition on and then back off. Immediately press and release the valet switch. System LED should light solid at that point indicating that the alarm is in valet mode. Locks should still work if the remotes are functioning but no alarm to mess with at that point.

Next thing to do is check your remote batteries. Make sure you are using TWO batteries in the two-way remote. Replacing with one is a common mistake.

Lastly, often times simply unplugging the antenna and plugging it back in will reset it.

If after all that it is still not responding dependably you will have to seek out a Viper dealer for warranty. The remotes only have a 1 year warranty but the CPU and antenna both have lifetime warranties as long as you have the original receipt.

Hope this helps.

dub

(if you don't know, that is the most expert advice you will ever find on a Viper product, period).

There were some antennas that were heat sensitive and could eventually fail in the heat.

First thing. Are you familiar with the operation of the valet switch built into the antenna typically at the top of the windshield behind the rear view mirror? If the alarm won't disarm, unlock and open the door. Be aware the alarm will start sounding. Insert ignition key and turn on ignition. Immediately press and release valet switch. Alarm should disarm 5 seconds later.

You can also use the switch to disable the alarm if you don't feel confident that it will respond to the remote. With the door open, turn the ignition on and then back off. Immediately press and release the valet switch. System LED should light solid at that point indicating that the alarm is in valet mode. Locks should still work if the remotes are functioning but no alarm to mess with at that point.

Next thing to do is check your remote batteries. Make sure you are using TWO batteries in the two-way remote. Replacing with one is a common mistake.

Lastly, often times simply unplugging the antenna and plugging it back in will reset it.

If after all that it is still not responding dependably you will have to seek out a Viper dealer for warranty. The remotes only have a 1 year warranty but the CPU and antenna both have lifetime warranties as long as you have the original receipt.

Hope this helps.

dub

It turned out to be a busted remote. My remotes only have 1 battery in them so its not hard to mess that one up, if the battery is dead its dead and I have to replace it. i was aware of valet mode but I had not used it. It was working fine all day and just quit. I finally got home to my other remote and it worked perfectly. The remote I was using had been damaged several years back but was still functional. I am assuming that the long term effects of the damage to the remote are now finally being seen. My other remote works to lock and unlock and remote start the Jeep but it does not receive signal back for the two way pager feature which is why it was not my main remote. Walmart's website has a replacement remote listed for $59 so I will be ordering a new one here when I get paid this week.

Every viper remote I have ever had used 2 2016 batteries and not 1 2032. Not uncommon people put the wrong batteries in.

Aaa two way? Thats an old remote. And I was under the impression the antenna was only a 1 year warranty.

Aaa two way? Thats an old remote. And I was under the impression the antenna was only a 1 year warranty.

Nope. I defined what is covered by the lifetime warranty. IVU is included. HHU is not. That is until Directed closes its doors. They just need enough time to soak as much cash out of it as they can.

dub

Nope. I defined what is covered by the lifetime warranty. IVU is included. HHU is not. That is until Directed closes its doors. They just need enough time to soak as much cash out of it as they can.

dub

Oops, I've been telling my custies it's only the brain itself warrantied for life. Though it's INCREDIBLY rare I see antennas break

I had it installed in 2004 so yeah its an old system haha but it seems to be functioning fine with the spare remote aside from the remote not acknowledging the feedback from the actions it makes. But lock, unlock, alarm, and remote start all function fine. So I just need a new remote.

If it is still installed in the original vehicle, was installed by an authorized dealer and you have proof of purchase it has a lifetime warranty.

dub

Well then I guess I have no warranty. It was installed by HiFi Buys which is now out of business. Also it was installed in 2004 when I was 18 and was a Christmas present from my parents so I don't have any purchase information on it. It is however installed in the original vehicle so I got 1 out of 3 haha

2/3 as long as hifi was AUTHORIZED to deal/install directed products WHEN they installed it.

Back