• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 cherokee laredo crank no start

chalbert

NAXJA Forum User
drove into my garage. had code-misfire cylinder 1. then it vanished. changed coilpack on 4.0. it wouldn't start. no spark. changed crank sensor, still crank no start. changed coilpack back to old one, running but still missing. does anyone on this site know if jeep made an early/late model 99 Cherokee Laredo?

Last edited:
Um. It runs with the old?

I'd check the plugs and wires.
One thing to check is engine compression, if it's too low the chamber can't get enough compression combust,
Not sure if the fuel injectors come in to play at all with that specific code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Laredo would be a Grand Cherokee ?

Grand Cherokee or regular XJ Cherokee, either way something you did made it not run. Perhaps installing crappy Chinese parts, or you aggravated a wire harness issue, or installed something incorrectly.

I had advance look up the part number of the new coil and its for a 2000to2006? I'm wondering if they gave me one that's too new. Also I Che ked continuity from every sensor or part I've changed. And checked that all are within their respective voltage and resistance ranges.

In case anyone is interested.. I did a ton of research on this 99 laredo. There was an early/late model. With respect to the crank sensor, and the coil pack. In order to use a replacement coil pack, on an early 99, it requires an additional pigtail connector from the coil to the harness. Although I just took the plug on the harness apart and flipped the wires 180' .put it back together and the thing fired right up. Running well, I have to take it for a test spin shortly to make sure there's no missing under load. Thanks to you guys for trying to help I appreciate the replys.

Is it a grand Cherokee or regular Cherokee? I thought regular XJ cherokee were classics or sports in 1999.
If it's a grand Cherokee it the first model year of the WJ and bound to be a lot of differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only difference in mid 99 that I am aware of is wheelbearings and brake rotors. A lot of people have told me late 99 XJs (NOT grand cherokees) got the coil rail and new head but every time I ask for VIN verification it turns out it's a late 99 production date and a 00 VIN, thus 00 emissions system, which is unsurprising and NOT a mid 99 split.

The VIN year is the one that matters when talking about model years, the production date is sometimes used to narrow down early vs late but the split isn't always in the same place and you have ot use your ears and eyes, they aren't the same, production date year matching VIN year is more rare than you'd think.

Is it a WJ Grand Cherokee Laredo or an XJ Cherokee Laredo? If it is a WJ, it could be a coilpack issue I suppose, they all got the new ignition system in 99. If it's an XJ it should have a distributor and I'll be shocked if the coil would cause a single cylinder misfire as a result.

I have an XJ Laredo.

But the part that Advance looked up was for 2000-2006 (?). So is that part interchangeable with a regular XJ...since they didn't go to 06. Just askin'.

Not sure of the exact model. It says jeep cherokee laredo all over it. Manufactured in March 99. That's pretty early in the year. It is distributeless ignition. One long coil on plug coil pack. I just was hoping I could help some other guys from going half over this coil pack issue.

I'm really not sure how long the coil pack goes to 04, 06? Idk. Also it only had the code for one cylinder but once in a while I could feel it missing on two. With that said it is still missing on one. I'm going to check the plugs I put in to make sure I didn't foul one. If they're all good I'm gonna look at the lifters to see if any have collapsed. Other than that....i have no idea what to do next.

Back