• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition build/body swap about to begin

jeepingben

NAXJA Forum User
The silver 2000 drove away on Wednesday and work is about to begin on a maroon 1998 that only has 65k miles. Since it is a 1998, I get rid of the coil rail, 3 of 4 oxygen sensors, the low-pinion D30 in the front, the mini-cats, and the heat-soak they cause.

DSCF9805_595.jpg

i.php

These things were taken off the old jeep to be moved over:
JKS disconnects
Detours tailbone
Rustys t-case skid
Hidden-hitch receiver (because I know it works with the skid + tailbone)
Air compressor
800w inverter with remote outlets + controls
Dual battery system
Rusty's intake (to make room for second battery)
Heated mirrors
JKS bar-pin eliminators

These things were sold on the old jeep and need to be replaced
Steering box brace
ZJ v8 steering
Front tow hooks
Rusty's gas-tank skid
RE super-flex 3.5
Transmission cooler

I will be replacing the rockers with 2x4 at some point, but this time I will use 1/8th instead of 3/16th.

I have wired up a second 800w inverter using this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwGBt2QB8Qg and tested it. I needed 2 smaller inverters so I can hide them in the dash.

Hopefully I will be buying a used ARB locker for the rear and some diff covers.

Whether the locker works out will probably affect which tires I end up with. Previously I had great luck with 265x75 r16 trxus MTs. I want to go with a skinny tire, probably on Liberty wheels. I am torn between trxus MT and cooper discoverer AT3 in a 235x85 r16. The cooper tires won a shootout over at expedition portal and realistically that is closer to the kind of driving I do.

I have already installed cruise control from a parts Jeep since that is critical for the kind of trips I use the Jeep for (Maine->Moab, Maine->Texas). Now I am looking for an overhead console.

Fortunately XJs are pretty capable stock because it will take a while to get all this done and I want to use it right away.

Re: Expedition build/body swap

i.php

i.php

I was out of town last week, but this week I installed a Hella H4 headlight conversion to replace the old, water filled, sealed beams. I also swapped the intake and installed the under-hood portion of my dual battery setup. At this point I could do a self jump-start.

My order arrived from OTRATTW so the inside portion of that wiring, as well as my inverter and OBA should be working soon,

I picked up a used ARB locker for the rear axle as well as differential cover armor for both axles yesterday.

Back