• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild or replace? TC issues.........

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy and Happy New Year.

So to make a long story short, when I bought my 89 XJ, it had a NP231 in it that the PO left dry, due to a bad output seal. I spent $100 on a use NP242, and had a Jeep guy put it in for me (another $75, but he had a lift!!!)

The Jeep was fine last winter, with no real issues. This winter, I went skiing, and stuck it in 4WD part time, and no 4WD! So came home in 2wd, as I am driving home, I put it into 4WD full time, and it seems to be ok, then NO DRIVE AT all!!!! I stop, put the transmission into N and put the TC back into 2wd, with a bit of noise, it goes.

Over the past couple of weeks, with help from those of you on this forum ( THANK YOU!!!) I have re-adjusted the shift lever multiple times, and it is doing the same thing. No 4wd in any position, including low, and it will loss drive when in 4wd full time. I assume my USED 242 is history.

SO what to do? Go get another one out of some rig, or have the current one rebuilt? I have never rebuilt one, but I do have the factory manual, and I think I can handle it, but, once again, I don't have a lift!!! The idea of crawling under my Jeep in the cold is not great. Do you think just replacing the chain in the rig would do it? What does it cost have these things rebuilt? Are the worth rebuilding? Or should I just go get another one????

Any advice from those of you with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

I think you could do it. Some good strong jack stands and a solid work surface should make up for the lift. The chain is a secondary concern from the symptoms you describe. Look at replacing the shift fork or the plastic surfaces that engage / disengage gearing in the transfer case. I would bet the plastic blocks are warn or missing. Keep in mind my only experience cracking a T-case is installing a slip yoke eliminator but the steps are the same for repair of the shift fork.

Thanks for the reply.
Can the shifter pads be replaced while the TC is still in the car?
Any other advice? I not sure how many older 242 are available in the local junkyards.
Thanks,
Bob

Just wondering, when you switched from 231 to 242, what did you do about the front axle disconnect? If that's still somehow hooked into the system, that's where I'd look first, because that could explain why you get reliable 2WD and rear drive in part time 4WD, but no drive at all in full time (the full time uses a center differential).

If it was (as I think it should have been) shimmed permanently into connected state, then disregard this.

I will double check the front axle. I did lock the front axle with a hose clamp, but I guess it is possible that it has failed?

Can I just jack up the front axle and spin the wheels to see if they turn opposite of each other or do I need to pull the vacuum cover off?

Thanks, and suggestions is greatly appreciated. As the thing worked fine for some time after the swap!!

Thanks,
Bob

I will double check the front axle. I did lock the front axle with a hose clamp, but I guess it is possible that it has failed?

Can I just jack up the front axle and spin the wheels to see if they turn opposite of each other or do I need to pull the vacuum cover off?

Thanks, and suggestions is greatly appreciated. As the thing worked fine for some time after the swap!!

Thanks,
Bob

You could probably just jack up the right front wheel. Leave the left on the ground. If it turns the driveshaft you're connected.

Gee, Thanks Matthew for your advice!!!
I went into town today, talked to Amacco and a jeep guy about redoing my TC and was told the shifter can been a issue, so I got a estimate to redo the case ranging from $200-$400, with $100 to $200 to do the R&R if I decide to have them do it.

I got home, jacked up the right hand wheel, and turn the wheel, and the front drive shaft did not turn!!!!!
SO, I guess I need to pull the axle cover and see what is going on. I used a hose clamp to lock the axle disconnect, which worked fine after I did it. One my old 1990 XJ, I used washers to lock the axle, but the hose clamp was easy!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Re: Rebuild or replace? TC issues.........UPDATE>

Just a update. I jacked up the right wheel, and the axle did not move!!!
I pulled of the shift fork on the axle, and found the fork loose!
I have no idea where the hose clamp I put in went to, but for sure if is not where I put it. I don't recommend anyone using a hose clamp for a solution
of securing the fork on the axle. I will go to a bolt or washers for a better solution.

Live and learn.

Hope this helps someone..............

Back