• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LS Swap Header Options

What shorties did you start with?
Pace Setter. They where $200 if I remember correctly plus another $660 to modify them (they have a carb cert so I needed these to make it smog legal). I am glad you are going with the Novaks, they really are the no headache best headers for an LS in the XJ.

Pace Setter. They where $200 if I remember correctly plus another $660 to modify them (they have a carb cert so I needed these to make it smog legal). I am glad you are going with the Novaks, they really are the no headache best headers for an LS in the XJ.

Where did I say I was going with the Novaks?

I'm not even going to use their mounts...

Edit, how come they cost $660 to modify? Dare I ask?

Where did I say I was going with the Novaks?

I'm not even going to use their mounts...

Edit, how come they cost $660 to modify? Dare I ask?
Oops sorry, different person jhc7399 said he was going with them, I misread the username.

I had to make the headers look factory or smog legal. Here in California the ref will look at pictures of the headers to see if they have been modified. I had to shorten them about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. My welding isnt that great so I had a REALLY good welder/muffler shop modify them for me then I cere-coated them so they still looked stock with the carb eo plaque still in tact. I honestly have about 1/4 clearance one each side next to the frame.

They work really well with no rubbing or touching. I have about 20K on the swap. I really wish I could have just bought some that would fit. There really isn't anything out there except the Novaks that are a true header and not a manifold. If the pics in my build thread worked (sig) then you could see them, I really need to re-host my pics...one day.

Headers: $199 from Summit
Cere-kote: $200
Muffler shop labor plus new collector flanges: $460

I ordered the S10 conversion set. I decided the C10 set would be less likely to work because the driver's side will dump too far back.

I do have another motivation to ordering the 'wrong' parts. I have a 66 Gladiator that is slowly getting pieced together, and I know I can fit them on it if need be. Of course now I've gone and stolen the transmission from it for this project, so it's actually going backwards...

I ordered the S10 conversion set. I decided the C10 set would be less likely to work because the driver's side will dump too far back.

I do have another motivation to ordering the 'wrong' parts. I have a 66 Gladiator that is slowly getting pieced together, and I know I can fit them on it if need be. Of course now I've gone and stolen the transmission from it for this project, so it's actually going backwards...

Hey I know this is an old post but did you end up using the S10 headers? And how did they work out for you?
Seems like a great price for SS headers. Even if they need a bit of "tweaking".
I'm about to place an order for them.
I'm in the process of swapping out a 350 for a 6.0L in my '90 XJ. From the pics they look very similar to the Hedman headers I'm running on the 350.
T.I.A., Jay.

My only concern with the novaks is the pitiful tube sizes! 1.5"??????????? I haven't started an ls swap yet but I'm really not looking forward to trying it bc I don't want to choke the engine down soo much.

My only concern with the novaks is the pitiful tube sizes! 1.5"??????????? I haven't started an ls swap yet but I'm really not looking forward to trying it bc I don't want to choke the engine down soo much.

Unless you're going for big power, i dont think it really makes a huge difference. Its a LS in a XJ.

wellll... I do have an ls1 block that needs a good set of rods and pistons and a set of stageII ported 5.3 heads and a ported fast intake with a direct port nitrous system... it should make around 530ish to the flywheel on motor alone.

Back