• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 XJ first lift! Need a little guidance

I wouldnt say "digging ditches", yeah its bigger and I agree maybe not the most ideal. If I was scrapping the 30 I'd go 8.8 over a 8.25 or 44 just my 2 cents though.
All depends if a person has the equipment to do the necessary fab work.
With what the op wants and with 33" tires with light to moderate wheeling the 97+ 8.25 is fine. Especially since he is re gearing/rebuilding it

No, it's got the 27spline axles!

No, it's got the 27spline axles!

ok can i give you a little scenario? i'm regearing, so i'm tearing open the d35 anyway. i have a friend with a FREE 8.25 but its a 27 spline. is the 27 spline 8.25 not AT ALL better than a d35? is it just a waste of time to switch out axles? should i just regear the d35 then?

If your regearing you could swap out the shafts, I've got a set after I changed to Yukon's!

To change the shafts from 27 to 29 spline, you'd also need to get a 29 spline carrier.

Which are easily had from any 97 up ZJ with an 8.25 in a hour at your local pick n pull.
A disc brake swap can be pickex up at the same time.
You should be able to put in a Aussie locker for a 29 spline 8.25 then just use 29 spline axles

Which are easily had from any 97 up ZJ with an 8.25 in a hour at your local pick n pull.
A disc brake swap can be pickex up at the same time.
You should be able to put in a Aussie locker for a 29 spline 8.25 then just use 29 spline axles
i assume you meant XJ, not ZJ?

"im going to take all the internals from this housing, and put it in that housing because i got it for free." at that point, why even bother with the free housing? just buy the complete one at the JY and tear it apart for a rebuild in the comfort of your own garage, screw carrying it out of the JY in pieces.

Would a 96 Cherokee 8.25 not be a good upgrade over the D35

A 27 spline 8.25 would indeed be a good upgrade especially for the budget minded jeeper who can get one free or cheaply. Plenty of people have beat on their 27 spline with lockers and big tires without a problem, and I am one of those people.

i assume you meant XJ, not ZJ?

"im going to take all the internals from this housing, and put it in that housing because i got it for free." at that point, why even bother with the free housing? just buy the complete one at the JY and tear it apart for a rebuild in the comfort of your own garage, screw carrying it out of the JY in pieces.
Nope i meant ZJ. I dont know about your area but in mine finding a 97 up xj in a wrecking yard is a pretty rare thing. Tons of ZJ's but not XJ's. If he has the housing pulling the carrier and shafts out of a zj is a viable option and am easy upgrade for the 27 spline.

Nope i meant ZJ. I dont know about your area but in mine finding a 97 up xj in a wrecking yard is a pretty rare thing. Tons of ZJ's but not XJ's. If he has the housing pulling the carrier and shafts out of a zj is a viable option and am easy upgrade for the 27 spline.

ZJs only came with dana 35's or dana 44A's unless I'm mistaken

diffguardtype.jpg

Back