• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Yoke & Transfer Case, Damage Following Driveshaft Failure - Thoughts?

BadHash_NoSum

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings all, and thanks for running a clean forum without intrusive advertising. Long time lurker, Monday's events gave me reason to sign up and start posting.

Here's the short version: I have a 1990 XJ of questionable heritage, 250+k on the body and an unknown number of miles on the mid-90's Grand Cherokee motor swapped in by the previous owner. Same owner also installed a 4.5" lift in front, 3.5" lift in the rear, no transfer case drop, no SYE, running 33x12.5's.

If you read the thread title, you probably know where this is headed. 40mph on the busiest road in town, she pops.

ZCv7MAa.jpg

nXovnKp.jpg

sJ9sKt3.jpg

So I've been doing a little light technical forum reading over the last few days, getting smart on SYE systems and the like. I have the older style 231 with the three-bolt cone (you'll note, the three bolts are all still there...) so by the time you add the necessary bits and bobs, a hack and tap SYE kit is only $40 distant from a full IRO HD SYE with all the fixings, as it comes with a new housing.

I'd be interested in the group's thoughts on the fate of that 231's internal components. I'm quite tempted to leave the case in the vehicle, get all the wheels off the ground, and if the transfer case appears to still function, just do the SYE install underneath the vehicle. I'm aware of the need for a new driveshaft, I'll be going the stock-XJ-front-shaft route after some measuring.

But most of all, it's that pinion yoke that brought me here. The U-Joint really did a number on its way to the pavement, and the damage I've circled got me wondering. I was aware that the previous owner favored Rusty's, and noted that the stock strap yoke had been replaced. This sealed that suspicion: http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-heavy-duty-dana-35-u-bolt-style-yoke.html

So, I'm interested in the group's thoughts on this yoke: what are the chances that the prior owner hit that nut too hard making the swap, changing the pinion's preload? My chances of successfully slamming a new u-joint in that damaged yoke after some hammering down of the broken bits? My chances of installing yet a third yoke onto this Dana 35 without also messing up the preload?

Thanks for any insights!

(And hey, if you made it this far, feel free to just point and laugh at the broken bits! I'd be curious in your thoughts of the chicken vs. egg - what broke first?)

My guess is you had a u joint fail to cause that. Would just swap the yoke out and see what happens. I personally have an advance adapters sye. Worked well. Even semi lost the shaft after the rear exploded, still kicking. You'll be tearing most of the t case apart if you go that route so it will be easy to see if anything else failed. Give the case a good check for cracks.

I would not hesitate to sand out that yoke and re-use it. and yes, be careful not to over-torque the Ubolts.

as far as SYEs go. I have had a hack-n-tap for 5 years. no issues. but these days the price of the regular SYEs has come down so I'm not sure its worth it.

Thanks all for the replies.

Have already de-burred the old yoke, got a new output cone, seal, ujoints and ubolts for $70 shipped and am going that route for now. I have an inch-pound torque wrench, will ensure the yoke u-bolts are not overtightened, and will lube the new joints every oil change.

The SYE and new driveshaft have been postponed until I can get a new, better rear axle set up properly from the get-go.

Forget about the yoke,
Go to your local Junk Yard & get a yoke that happens to be attached to a Chrysler 8.25" rear :sad1:, take the whole axle & Swap it in, Throw entire dana 35 including the yoke in the trash!
On 33's With even a tiny bit of hard use, that D35's existence will not be very long anyway.

Forget about the yoke,
Go to your local Junk Yard & get a yoke that happens to be attached to a Chrysler 8.25" rear :sad1:, take the whole axle & Swap it in, Throw entire dana 35 including the yoke in the trash!
On 33's With even a tiny bit of hard use, that D35's existence will not be very long anyway.

Agreed.

I'm all for the junkyard axle, I'll just also be taking the intermediate step of having the spring perches re-attached at different angles to keep an SYE happy, slamming in some new seals, and having a new set of ring gear & locker installed by somebody who has the tools and knowhow to set it up properly (preload, crush fitting, etc.)

There might be a couple guys in the Colorado Chapter who can service that project axle...

I wouldn't bother rotating the spring perches, if you are going to an 8.8 or a 9" swap, maybe otherwise I would just go shims. Chances are with the SYE you'll want to tweak the angle some after getting it all setup.

Back