• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Strange Problem

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a jeep with a '84 4.2L motor. When I come to a complete stop the motor revs up to around 1200rpm's. It wants to pull away and I have to really push on the brakes just to hold it in place. I rebuilt the carb (a holley 2300 2bl) to see if it would help but it still does the same things. Please Help, its miserable to drive like it is!!!

Does the choke open all the way? If the choke is partially closed the fast idle cam will still control the idle speed rather than the base idle screw...

I have a 1984 Cherokee XJ Pioneer with the 2.8l so this may apply or not apply. I had the same problem and it is not fixed. The garage I went to didn't fix the problem. What they did do is disconnect a plug.

On my cherokee on the left front of the engine compartment is the windshield washer tank, directly behind that is the overflow tank for the radiator, directly behind that is a clip with a black thing attached that has two black vacuum hoses at the bottom and a plug with two wires.

They pulled that plug and the surging stopped.

If that works for you it will stop the surging until you can sort out what the problem is. Something vacuum related.

Hope this helps!

I just bought a jeep with a '84 4.2L motor. When I come to a complete stop the motor revs up to around 1200rpm's. It wants to pull away and I have to really push on the brakes just to hold it in place. I rebuilt the carb (a holley 2300 2bl) to see if it would help but it still does the same things. Please Help, its miserable to drive like it is!!!

It sounds like you have an FSJ and not an XJ.

Try http://www.ifsja.org/

Back