• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheep Engine compartment cooling mod.

Jeep 250

NAXJA Forum User
Insted of installing hood vents, I put 5/8'' spacer between the hood and hinge. This gave me about 5/8'' of air space between the hood and the engine compartment. Besides rain water would this hurt anything?

Dennis

Jeep 250 said:
Insted of installing hood vents, I put 5/8'' spacer between the hood and hinge. This gave me about 5/8'' of air space between the hood and the engine compartment. Besides rain water would this hurt anything?

Dennis

It's a good idea. BrettM has been running this for quite a while now.
Billy

EDIT: not sure if his is 5/8" or not.

Jeep 250 said:

Dennis

The only downside with doing this mod (apart from rain water getting in) is that when you're travelling at speed, there's a positive pressure area at the heater vents so you're going to be pushing air into the engine compartment instead of letting it out.
At low speeds, this isn't a problem and hot air can escape from under the hood as intended.

Another good "cheap" engine cooling mod is to plumb in another heater core with the radiator. Hang it somewhere it can get cool air. I've placed mine behind the grill and infront of the radiator. It circulates through the extra heater core and cools the coolant down before putting it back in the radiator. I got the extra heater core from a pic and pull for $5.00; Runs about 10 degrees cooler now even off-road.

Curt

purl said:
Another good "cheap" engine cooling mod is to plumb in another heater core with the radiator. Hang it somewhere it can get cool air. I've placed mine behind the grill and infront of the radiator. It circulates through the extra heater core and cools the coolant down before putting it back in the radiator. I got the extra heater core from a pic and pull for $5.00; Runs about 10 degrees cooler now even off-road.

Curt
do you have any pictures of the set up?

Dr. Dyno said:
The only downside with doing this mod (apart from rain water getting in) is that when you're travelling at speed, there's a positive pressure area at the heater vents so you're going to be pushing air into the engine compartment instead of letting it out.
At low speeds, this isn't a problem and hot air can escape from under the hood as intended.
Doc It still helps because the hot air is just pushed out under the jeep. Although I'm shure it dosn't work as well as vents at the leading edge of the hood. Mabey I will try to do a test on how much raising the rear of the hood helps temps at higher speedsonce it gets good and warm here. I run a 80@80 round trip every work day.

I made a 20 mile round trip today (ya it just got wormed up) but it ran about 10 degrees cooler. I just used 4 head bolt washers for spacers. I'd like to see the result of your test.

Dennis

Something the Nissan crowd have got me thinking of doing whenever I get around to fitting my LeBaron hood vents:

path3.jpg

Notice the three vents in the nose just above the radiator. My idea is that at speed it'll help to create convection under the hood to better exhaust heat through the rear vents, while at low speeds it'll provide a secondary path for radiator heat. Going to the junkyard later today to pull apart the nose on one of the junkers and figure out how best to cut apart the support between the radiator and leading edge of the hood.

Jeep 250 said:
I made a 20 mile round trip today (ya it just got wormed up) but it ran about 10 degrees cooler. I just used 4 head bolt washers for spacers. I'd like to see the result of your test.

Dennis
Well I'll have to get started on it then. It's only suposed to be in the lower 60's to around 70* this comming week though. Would any one have an idea what the under hood temps usually run on a warm day say 90*. Ofcorse I know it would vary on the ambent temp of the day. The digital thermometer I plan on using only goes to 122*, and I was trying to get an idea if I'll need one that goes higher.

casm said:
Something the Nissan crowd have got me thinking of doing whenever I get around to fitting my LeBaron hood vents:

path3.jpg

Notice the three vents in the nose just above the radiator. My idea is that at speed it'll help to create convection under the hood to better exhaust heat through the rear vents, while at low speeds it'll provide a secondary path for radiator heat. Going to the junkyard later today to pull apart the nose on one of the junkers and figure out how best to cut apart the support between the radiator and leading edge of the hood.

Be very careful in introducing an air current to the first half of the under hood area from above as you could create pressure behind the radiator which would also reduce the amount of air passing through it!

I was going todo the hinge spacer mod but after looking at the cowl area I decide to remove the hood to cowl rubber seal mounted on the cowl lip. Then I bent the lip down about 1/4" and trimmed the hood insulation at the rear of the hood above the lip. At idle I can feel hot air flowing out. Decided on this mod as the lip is there to channel water away, sealed the fastener holes. Haven't done any temp checks yet, but its' gotta help some.

georgemu said:
I was going todo the hinge spacer mod but after looking at the cowl area I decide to remove the hood to cowl rubber seal mounted on the cowl lip. Then I bent the lip down about 1/4" and trimmed the hood insulation at the rear of the hood above the lip. At idle I can feel hot air flowing out. Decided on this mod as the lip is there to channel water away, sealed the fastener holes. Haven't done any temp checks yet, but its' gotta help some.
See what you can come up with on this. I have been gathering data from that last two days so far. On what my temps have been under hood. To compare to what they will be with spacers on the hinges at freeway speeds. I am planning on posting the results when I am finished.

I use 1" square tubing, and it runs about 10 degrees cooler.

Doc Dyno,
I still recieve a pretty good cooling effect even at highway speeds. You can watch the heat escape at interstate speeds, when the motor is warm.

The only negative I have noticed is that when it is humid out, the lower portion of the passenger side windsheild will fog up from the outside. Basically directly over pressure bottle.

MachineMan said:
Those hood spacers look like the way to go becuase you can easily take them back off in the winter or rainy season.

I am running vents from a 280Z and have placed them in such a way that the water misses the manifold on the drivers side and the distributor on the passengers side. Hence no need for removeal or covering during the rainy months. Not that we get a whole lot of rain in Socal (2004-2005 is the exception)

Back