• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering return line

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
My power steering return line is rubbing on the steering shaft, almost worn through.

Can I just cut the metal line and clamp new hose on and route it to the reservoir plastic out?

Whatever you don't don't try to twist the line of the reservoir. The plastic gets old and brittle. The last one I changed I cut/split the tubing lengthwise off the nipple with an carpet knife, carefully.

A lot of horror stories about guys snapping that nipple off. Learning from other peoples mistakes is definitely the easier path.

Theres no reason you can't but its not necessary. 8Mud said you can manipulate the hard line so the hose follows another route. I used a ziptie when I put the new line in. Once I upgrade my pump I'm going to actually bend the hard line to a straighter angle all together. Honestly it is just cheaper and easier to route however you want because either way you'll have to have a rubber line into the steering pump.

There are two lines going to the PS pump. One goes up to 10,000 psi, and if your talking about that line, then no you can not repair it. It takes special high pressure crimp tools and fittings and HP hose for that line.

"Can I just cut the metal line"

If you are talking about a metal return line that goes back to the plastic reservoir from the gear box, then yes, as it is low pressure, but I would use two clamps, and flare the end of the metal tube.

Or you can buy a female x female brass or stainless tubing connector, cut out the worn part, and reconnect the ends, but make sure you get a quality connector with good double crimp ferrules.

Had to take a look at the one I pulled off of mine...

There's the high pressure line with the special crimp fittings. The low pressure line has a bit of metal tubing/line where it meets the steering box. The shape looks kinda intricate, so unless that's rubbing or you want to know the joys of bending and flaring metal line, I would NOT cut it. The metal line is connected to the power steering pump by some rubber hose with a couple of crappy, spring-loaded hose clamps. Those and the hose should be fine to cut, as long as you plan on replacing them. Alternatively, since both lines have flare nuts on the end, you might try loosening them at the steering box and moving them out of the way of the steering shaft, and then re-tightening the flare nuts.

You can buy a replacement return line at NAPA for about $15.

The fittings at the steering box are 18 or 19 mm depending on who makes the line.

No it's not the high pressure line. It's the low pressure return, None of the parts stores have this line for some reason. Hense cutting the metal and adding new hose idea. The steering has been chewing this line for a long time, I'm glad I caught it.
I don't think I need to bend up The new it should swivel right?

I've used HP fuel injection hose (3/8" as I recall for the return line) with the corresponding fuel injection line clamps for this repair several times. Never any leaks.

11j9Y-iJBeL._AC_UL130_.jpg

I have soft line on the return (from the gearbox to a cooler and back into the reservoir), works fine. NAPA and CarQuest both sell oil cooler hose and/or transmission hose, its safe for high-temperature oils and won't breakdown and collapse like other kinds of hose

You can buy a replacement return line at NAPA for about $15.

The fittings at the steering box are 18 or 19 mm depending on who makes the line.
You can also buy a 90 with a nipple for the steering box to clamp the new rubber hose to. IIRC I used the return fitting for a '95 ZJ when I put in my cooler.

Last edited:
I just looked for the fitting/tube that I used and didn't find it under a 95 ZJ. I don't know what to say, I would have sworn that's what I used. If I remember /figure it out I'll post it.

Back