• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Upgrade Needed 94XJ

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
In a few days i might be going to a Wrecking yard and i need to know what to look for to change my brake system to the dual diaphram one on the 95+ xjs. I have a 94 XJ with brakes that suck no mater what i do. I have searched and read a few write ups but am a bit confused on what years are a direct replacement ? and if i need the mastercylinder and the valves ?

Thanks- much apprecaited.
pete

You've obviously only skimmed the MadXJ article on this very subject. That will give you the exact part number (in Matt Homan's writeup IIRC) for the direct replacement. I'll let you know if it's BS or not once my upgrade goes in, in the next few days! :D

I'm going to upgrade the braking system on my '92 XJ with the following items:

'02 TJ dual diaphragm brake booster (servo) with MC and proportioning valve ($62 from e-bay)
Stainless steel braided brake lines front/rear $95
Performance friction carbon metallic brake pads $45

Any '95+ XJ or TJ dual diaphragm brake booster will do. Just make sure that you also source the 8mm thick rectangular spacer that mounts between the servo and the firewall (bulkhead).

Ok, what exactly is a dual diaphram brake system. I have a 95 XJ, but do not know what this is. Any brake system info would be helpful. I am going to be getting a FSM prolly next couple of weeks. Til then I must resorting to asking you guys.

Silent

I went to the local yard a few days ago and i ran into a 95 cherokee brake setup. I took it all apart and found no spacer ?? I was about to purchase it and the guy said i had to buy the prop valves with it for him to sell it ? I dont realy know what i would need to get the swap on my 94 xj. I have read madxjs article but that deals with older renix XJs. I didnt purcahse them it bc i wasnt sure if it was gonna work , especially when he wanted 85$.

If i was to run into a 95 what would i need ? whata but a 96 + ? I heard that there was something special about the 95 ? Please clarify .

pete

I just gutted what was left of my 96' to reinstall on my 89'. The brakes dont always have a spacer, only those without a ABS setup will.

Its quite an easy swap, unbolt the 4 nuts on the firewall holding the booster and cylinder in. 1 bolt holding the pedal linkage on. Remove all lines: to remember where they go I suggest a maggie marker and a number system, i.e 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc.

Do the same to the donor rig.

When reinstalling the new system, make sure theres just enough fluid in the bottom of the res that if you pull the plunger to far out or push to far in that it wont put to much of an air pocket in there.

After putting it in, bleed, bleed, bleed. Took 2 hours last night to remove the new and replace the old with a side track to the keg o' rator. Works like a champ ths morning though.

You need a 95-96 booster. I tried a 97 and even with the spacer the rod won't come close enough to the pedal to mount it. You can't clearence the pedal assymbly either.

The article mentions the 97+ may not work.......they don't.

balloo93 said:
You need a 95-96 booster. I tried a 97 and even with the spacer the rod won't come close enough to the pedal to mount it. You can't clearence the pedal assymbly either.

The article mentions the 97+ may not work.......they don't.

97+ will only work with a rod swap.

You could always use the spacer that sits on the back of your current booster - I think you'll have one there.

For the direct swap in, choose a booster with part number 52008647 on the little white ticket. It was the easiest part of my brake refurb job: a straight swap over. The spacer is just an aluminium plate and polystyrene piece of the same shape which sits against the firewall - it's nothing fancy.

Back