• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 missfire

cordog

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 XJ with no eng mods but I have a miss from 1800-2200 rpm,my local dealer has no idea what it could be other than one of the older techs (23-25 years old) had said it might be the crank triger.I have replaced the triger and no change,PLEASE HELP :tears:

A mid range RPM miss is hard to diagnose as it can be one of several things. Most likely is ignition as your tech zeroed in on, but this includes plugs, plug wires, distributor, rotor, and coil as well as the electronics that tell them when to fire. Begin with a simple tune-up and go from there if the problem persists.

What kind of plugs? And give us a full description of what has been done please, don't make us pull it out of you one step at a time.

I am guessing you have done the simple things such as plugs,wires,cap and rotor. My next guess would be to check the...
. distributor for play
. check grounds
. check cps and hall sensor

pete

Back