• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Novak shifter for the 231?

I have one installed in mine.
100_0463.jpg

I mounted the shifter up high so it's easier to reach. I like it really well.

Excellent question Remi, and the answer is NO. The OEM felt on the cover plate wasn't enough to keep the road noise out, so I bought a shifter boot from a CJ and mounted it under the console plate. I DID keep the factory rubber boot that extends down from the hole, but there's enough missing from it now so it doesn't seal very well.

BillR said:
Excellent question Remi, and the answer is NO. The OEM felt on the cover plate wasn't enough to keep the road noise out, so I bought a shifter boot from a CJ and mounted it under the console plate. I DID keep the factory rubber boot that extends down from the hole, but there's enough missing from it now so it doesn't seal very well.

factory boot? I don't remember seeing a factory boot in my 98 or 97: all I had in that hole was a metal shaped piece that the shifter resided in.

Kejtar said:
factory boot? I don't remember seeing a factory boot in my 98 or 97: all I had in that hole was a metal shaped piece that the shifter resided in.
My shifter assembly was in contained in a half-round rubber boot that screwed to the hump with the same screws as the shifter unit. The boot was the outer surface facing the driveshaft, and the shifter "tab" protruded through it.

Will that work in an old gen, that linkage comes apart every time I go wheelin and I usually end up covered in mud after shifting the t-case with a 14mm wrench. I think being able to not worry about that messing up is worth the $130. Has anyone ever fabbed anything like this up?

1990XJ4x4 said:
Will that work in an old gen, that linkage comes apart every time I go wheelin and I usually end up covered in mud after shifting the t-case with a 14mm wrench. I think being able to not worry about that messing up is worth the $130. Has anyone ever fabbed anything like this up?

After looking at the pictures and the tcase I got laying n the garage I think I'll take a stab at making one as it doesn't look too hard. Oh yeah... it should work on all 231's 242's and couple others.

thats sweet. i wanted something different so i picked up an extra shifter form the bone yard. then i cut the shifter at the bend of the handle and removed all the rubber grip. then i tapered down the shaft with a grinder. then i threaded it and i was done. i reinstalled the shifter and twisted on my 5 speed shifter. it looks sweet, functions real well and i can use almost any style shifter i want. i will pos pics later. plus it confuses ppl who get in my jeep who are unfimilar with it cause you have the auto tranny shifter nad to them what looks like a manual tranny shifter(dumb ppl).

Back