• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 axle shaft ABS vs. non ABS

BrokenSockets

NAXJA Forum User
1996 XJ Country 4.0 4x4 242 D30/D35

Can I replace the rear left side axle shaft with ABS tone ring on a D35 with a non-ABS shaft? Same dimensions and splines?

I don't think the ABS has worked in 8 years.

The shaft in there now has been eaten by the bearing - has about a half inch deep groove all the way around and I have a new non-ABS shaft I picked up.

I am pretty sure they are physically the same. Just the absence of the tone ring on the non-abs version.

If you're ABS is hooked up, you could get some erratic braking since you're missing the tone ring. Test it close to home first.
The fuse and ABS relay can be pulled to deactivate the ABS system.
Had to do this when I exchanged the 1997's D35 for a 8.25.

Hard to believe how easy it is to destroy a D35.

The fuse and ABS relay can be pulled to deactivate the ABS system.
Had to do this when I exchanged the 1997's D35 for a 8.25.

Hard to believe how easy it is to destroy a D35.

Doesn't pulling the fuse make it almost a manual brake or is there still a booster for that old ABS system? I thought the booster was part of the ABS pump.

Doesn't pulling the fuse make it almost a manual brake or is there still a booster for that old ABS system? I thought the booster was part of the ABS pump.

The vacuum booster is what boosts the brake's line pressure
The antilock pump only goes into operation when a wheel is skidding, producing pressure to pulsate the skidding wheel(s) brakes.

I pulled the fuse and relay to turnoff the ABS dash light. The brakes now operate just like they did before, just without ABS.
Wish it was possible to retain the ABS.

Ok, I thought the booster was part of the abs pump. Didn't know it was external on these.
The early XJ's, renix to early HO, that had abs were a single unit and were junk. All late model ABS or not use booster + master

Back