• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New whine from rear

obxxj

NAXJA Forum User
1984 Jeep XJ. All stock.
New symptom.
On a smooth road the jeep makes no unusual noises. However, recently when I gently add power there is a new whine out of the rear that only sounds when under power. When I let off on the gas, the whine coming out of the rear disappears completely.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
David

have you checked the lube level in the rear diff?? I've had a u-joint make some crazy sounds in the past too. I thought for sure my rear end was trash and it ended up being the rear u-joint on the driveshaft. made a hell of a racket.

Check the drive shaft to be sure breaking drive shaft or the yoke on the axel is a major pain.

However I and many others here have gotten decades out of a dana 35 rear axel with a pronounced whine on acceleration.
I think that whine is the pinion bearing. But our 300k XJ has this sound for the last 100k miles at least. Honestly I think been it's longer.

I'd do the due diligence checking all the possibilities to be certain it's in the axel. But like Douglas Adams once said Don't panic. Maybe Mostly Harmless is more appropriate ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it when someone ask for help and then tells you whats wrong, and whats not wrong.Why ask if you aready know.Good Luck

OP posted a week ago and then updated the thread today. Maybe he has found the problem in the past week.

Back