• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0705, how to test aw4 shift solenoids

Catch22

NAXJA Forum User
98, 4.0, AW4. Getting a p0700/p0705. Cleaned NSS, tested. Still getting code. Adjusted, reinstalled. Bench tested. Still CEL. Pulled another NSS at yard, went to clean and it was immaculate. Installed and still get CLE. Pulled, cleaned anyway; sanded contacts. Bench tested and I get good contact though out the range. Installed and adjusted using a multi meter to verify all shifter positions. Still getting CLE. Cleaned grounds next to TCM, checked harnesses for broken wires. Verified connection to PDU starter relay. Still get CLE. Forgot to note I cleared codes each time. Always comes back after start up.
Also won't kick into OD. Adjusted trans kickdown cable. So now I'm thinking it's the solenoid(s). Is there a write up on testing them without dropping the pan, pulling and bench testing? I can't find a detailed method.

Check your Throttle Position Sensor. When it goes bad it can prevent going into OD.

Could be the tps going bad. You can check them but you really need to use an analog meter so you can see the sweep.

Should be able to check the solenoids by checking resistance at the aw4 harness in the engine bay. You'd need to find the pin out in the fsm to see which wires are for the solenoids. Think they're supposed to show a 10-15ohm range.

Both the tps and solenoids have their own respective codes....but as always, the ses light is never definitive.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If you need the pin out I think I have a 98 FSM on CD.

If you need the pin out I think I have a 98 FSM on CD.

That would be helpful. I have a 97 and 99 but I'm not sure if there are changes between 98 and 99. I know 97 has some differences in places.

That would be helpful. I have a 97 and 99 but I'm not sure if there are changes between 98 and 99. I know 97 has some differences in places.

So apparently I was wrong it's the 97 and 93 FSM's I have.....

Latest update.
Cleared code, Replaced TPS and still throwing code within 20 seconds at startup.

So I found this write up on testing the TCU.

b9lpMOL.jpg

iChORdU.jpg

Working my way down the list 2.1 and 2.2 read nothing.

I did manage to check 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 and the came out in spec 13 ohms, so the shift solenoids are good.

Its a nightmare trying to probe under the dash and I was rushed so I will be going back to verify the speed sensor inputs/outputs.

2001 diagnostics manual:

P0705-RANGE SENSOR

When Monitored: Continuously with the key on.
Set Condition: No Transmission Range Sensor signals are received or two conflicting signals are received from the Transmission Range Sensor at the same time by the TCM.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

PCM PARK/NEUTRAL DTC’S PRESENT
INTERMITTENT WIRING AND/OR CONNECTORS
FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
TRS 1-2 SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
TRS 3 SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
TRS OVERDRIVE SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
TRS REVERSE SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
TRS 1-2 SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TRS 3 SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TRS OVERDRIVE SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TRS REVERSE SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TRS 1-2 SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
TRS 3 SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
TRS OVERDRIVE SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
TRS REVERSE SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
TRANS RANGE SENSOR-SENSE CIRCUIT
TCM-TRS SENSE CIRCUIT INPUTS

2001 diagnostics manual:

After all my testing, replacement and testing I'm fairly sure its not the TRS anymore. At least, I want to rule out other things before I go back to it.

PCM PARK/NEUTRAL DTC’S PRESENT PCM
INTERMITTENT WIRING AND/OR CONNECTORS Harness
FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE Ignition switch/not key cylinder
TRANS RANGE SENSOR-SENSE CIRCUIT ?
TCM-TRS SENSE CIRCUIT INPUTS TCM

TRANS RANGE SENSOR-SENSE CIRCUIT?
What is this?

Latest update.
Cleared code, Replaced TPS and still throwing code within 20 seconds at startup.

So I found this write up on testing the TCU.

b9lpMOL.jpg

iChORdU.jpg

Working my way down the list 2.1 and 2.2 read nothing.

I did manage to check 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 and the came out in spec 13 ohms, so the shift solenoids are good.

Its a nightmare trying to probe under the dash and I was rushed so I will be going back to verify the speed sensor inputs/outputs.

Can I use this write up to test my 1996 Jeep Cherokee 2WD?

My Problem: Transmission will not shift into any gear after I star up. I put foot on brake, shift from park to R-no movement. Shift to N, Shift to D, no movement, shift to 3, No movement, shift to 1-2, no movement. Shift all the way back nothing. Not even the slightest hint of the vehicle wanting to move????

Back