• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD trackbar bracket brace

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting the HD track bar and bracket from RE and was wondering if I should go ahead and buy the brace too? How many of you guys run the brace? What improvements/ what does it strengthen? Thanks.

I would spend the money on the brace your trac bar takes alot of load on that fame mount. anything to hold it in place is better then nothing.

Good Luck

I highly recommend the brace. I recently bent my RE bracket. I added the brace in addition to beefing up/modifying the bracket. In hindsight, I believe a weakness with the RE bracket is that all the bolt holes are slotted. Even if the bolts are tight, there is potential for the bracket to shift in the slotted holes and bend on a hard hit. That is what happened to me. The brace will help keep this from happening.

I have one on mine and for the 70 to 80 bucks they want for one I think it is worth it. Just think of it as an insurance policy to prevent what happened to Gasman.

I got both and it really helps beef that area up. Consequently...when I installed the new bracket, I stitch welded around the entire thing. Not super long beads, maybe an inch long and a couple inches apart. Wouldnt take much to cut them and remove the bracket if I needed, but its NOT moving.

Been working great for a year with no issues and no lossening up. More than I can say for the stock bracket and original RE bar that I got with the kit.

J.

The brace is a baseline requirement to me. Put it on, go for a drive and you will feel the difference right away.

A bit of a dumb question; I'm sure. But I'm gonna ask it anyway.:wierd:

Will the track bar brace interfere if you are running a steering box brace?

THEGOOFSTER said:
A bit of a dumb question; I'm sure. But I'm gonna ask it anyway.:wierd:

Will the track bar brace interfere if you are running a steering box brace?
No. I have both.

The track bar brace is very nice to have. I've had mine on about 3 years and I have not once had to re-tighten my track bar mounting bracket bolts. As a side bonus it also helps stiffen up the front of your unibody considerably.

EricsXJ said:
As a side bonus it also helps stiffen up the front of your unibody considerably.
Noticed that with mine as well - had the 4.5" lift on for awhile before I could get the brace installed and it made a huge difference. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re1670.html

re1670.gif

It's a simple piece, but well worth adding.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I hate to bump an old thread, but this is the most recent one that I've seen on this topic.

Has anyone who is running this brace has problems with it barely touching the oil pan? I just installed the brace today and when the Jeep is running, I can feel the slight vibration of the brace and the oil pan rubbing. It's nothing major, but noticeable.

gregmondro said:
I hate to bump an old thread, but this is the most recent one that I've seen on this topic.

Has anyone who is running this brace has problems with it barely touching the oil pan? I just installed the brace today and when the Jeep is running, I can feel the slight vibration of the brace and the oil pan rubbing. It's nothing major, but noticeable.

by any chance are you motor mounts OEM? and if so are they worn?

gregmondro said:

Greg,

Mine has about 1/8" gap between the brace and oil pan. I've noticed there are some marks on the pan from probably coming down hard off something and the motor mount bushings compressed. But it does not make contact otherwise.

I would say motor mounts are shot.My 2000's are 8 years old and are 3/8" gap,my 95 sits about 1/4".

Thanks guys, I figured it's probably the motor mounts. Just haven't had a chance to get down there and take a look after the bar was installed yesterday.

The Jeep has around ~85k on it right now, so I'd figure the motor mounts are probably not as "new" as they could be, lol.

Get the MORE Mounts :)

I highly recommend running this brace or fabbing your own. I fabbed one for my old rig before RE was building them and I immediately noticed that the steering felt more precise and the front end felt "tighter", both on the road and off.

There is also the collateral benefit of limiting the torsional flex that can occur in the unirail in the engine compartment area. My theory is that adding a crossmember/brace like this will also mimize stretching/tearing of motor mount rubber, bolt shearing of motor mount block brackets, in addition to the previously mentioned benefits.

Every lifted XJ should have one.

As for the rubbing on the pan, prolly worn motor mounts as mentioned. A temporary fix could be to add a washer to space the bracket down/away from the pan slightly until you can get new mounts.

The front end definitely does get stiffened up with the brace. You can tell right away after installing it. Install was a bit of a pain because my XJ on 35s is definitely not as straight as the day it came out of the factory to say the least lol.

i would like to update on my post. my original motor mounts were in 4 pieces, replaced with MORE mounts two weeks ago, cabin vibrates and my front headlight bezels buzz every now and then but whatever.

two days ago i installed the HD RE bracket, trackbar, and the track bar brace. i have atleast an inch, maybe an inch and a half between my oil pan and the trackbar brace.

the bracket was easy, the trackbar was a little annoying because the axle side mount needed to be drilled out to 1/2".

the brace was the most annoying part. i was only able to get 3 of the 4 bolts in. i have not decided what to do about that.

i also added a steering box brace from MORE.

night and day difference. i should have added these two braces a LONG time ago.

rag said:
i
two days ago i installed the HD RE bracket, trackbar, and the track bar brace. i have atleast an inch, maybe an inch and a half between my oil pan and the trackbar brace.

the bracket was easy, the trackbar was a little annoying because the axle side mount needed to be drilled out to 1/2".

the brace was the most annoying part. i was only able to get 3 of the 4 bolts in. i have not decided what to do about that.

Unbolt the trackbar and loosen the trackbar bracket bolts to only 2-3 threads engaged, and then install the brace. Get all 4 brace bolts 3 threads on, go back and tighten up the trackbar, and then tighten up the brace.

its a pain, but that seems to be the easiest way.

Back