• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Basic question

xringx

NAXJA Forum User
I apologize if my 2 question are a bit basic, but I know almost nothing about jeeps so I have to ask.

My wife went a purchased a 94 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L High output engine and I wasnt there. (2 door, SE i believe)

1st question. The hood of the Jeep gets very hot. I drove it for 5min about 30mins after the sun was down and the hood was to hot to touch. Then temp gauge read just fine and the engine ran smooth. I noticed that the heat shield that normally goes under the hood is missing. Am I to be concerned? I am not really concerned but want to be safe.

2nd question. I was reading some old reviews for this jeep, and one said that command trac was standard on all models. Is there supposed to be a shift handle for it? All that is there is the shift handle for the transmission. I thought there would be something there to put it in 4wheel drive or is AWD?. She purchased the car under the assumption it was 2wd.

Other than the hood being very hot, the Jeep drives exceptional. Great pickup, smooth shifting.

Thank you for your time.

don't worry about the hood getting hot, they all do it, so long as you are not overheating it should never be an issue............just remeber not to put your beer down on it! If there is no transfer case lever, and you do not have a front differential or transfer case..........then its 2wd, enjoy

1) Normal. Underhood temperatures on the XJ - especially with the AMC 242 I6 - are high. I don't think I've ever had to deal with a "cool hood" when I've run for more than five straight minutes.

2) If you have 4WD, there will be a second shifter lever next to your left knee. The bezel for it will give the positions - I don't recall the difference between "Command-Trac" and "Selec-Trac," but if the shifter is there, and there is a "Full-Time 4WD" setting, you have the NP242 - if there is no "full-time" setting, you have the NP231. Of course, if the second shifter (looks like a horizontal lever) isn't there, neither is the transfer case.

If you have an automatic (likely, since your wife got it. Most women don't want to drive manuals anymore...) it's the Aisin-Warner AW4 four-speed, which is a ROCK SOLID box as long as you stay on your fluid changes.

As I recall, there was no such thing as an AWD XJ from the factory.

Welcome aboard!

5-90

DOH!

Never thought to look for a transfer case! There isnt one for sure. Yes its auto she hates stick.

Ok, thanks all. I wont worry about the hot hood and warn her about winter driving in a rwd vehicle.

Get her a set of chains, they are terrible in 2wd in the snow and ice.. we had a few in the used car lots around here, they sat for months before they went back to the auctions. I almost bought one from florida in 97, body and interior were mint and not a spec of rust, then I got my 98 while I was still thinking about it.. one guy I work with just moved up here from florida and he has a 2wd WJ that he's going to trade in...

Back