• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Monthly Trail Runs

Has anyone run iron chest in recent years? I never have and for whatever reason it seems like there's limited info about it. Just kinda wonder what the trail is like.

I ran it this past summer. The first quarter mile is pretty rough. All pretty large boulders for the most part. I made it on my 33s and open in the front with some careful line picking but was still rubbing rocks quite a bit. After the first quarter mile its pretty much a cake walk up to the mine/tramway.

It looks like the trail continues past the mine, but it quicky turns into a single track and you will have to make a hairy turn around into a draw near a steep section to get back down....I would advise staying at the mine/cabin area and exploring on foot from there.

Ok, I've ran it in my JK when it still had metric equivalent 35's. That was a few years back though.

A lot of the trails are closed during the winter months. Even with as little snow fall as we’ve had this winter the forest service still closed the trails.

Spring Creek is never technically closed, but it gets sketchy on the shelf roads

Maybe I didn’t realize how many trails are closed in the winter haha! Itching to play in some snow. Eagle Rock doesn’t close ;)

There are some trails that are open year-round. Switzerland Trail in Boulder R.D. for one, the "Gulches" north of Woodland Park for another: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1138921

Keep the ideas and comments coming! I value our members' and users' input in steering our chapter activities this coming year.

If ya ever do anything more moderate that we can get through on 31's, I think my wife and I would probably be up for a little adventure this summer. We find historical stuff pretty interesting. Also would like to find some fishing off the beaten path.

If ya ever do anything more moderate that we can get through on 31's, I think my wife and I would probably be up for a little adventure this summer. We find historical stuff pretty interesting. Also would like to find some fishing off the beaten path.
Can you give me a few examples of "moderate?" Also, do shelf roads cause anxiety?

I did spring creek in March of 2011 I slid partly off the shelf road overlooking i70 few more inches it would have been a done deal . It took two winches a bit of rigging and as an extra precaution I dug tracks out in the snow pack I slid on so it was not relying on dead beat up trees to hold a 5500 lb jeep .

I did spring creek in March of 2011 I slid partly off the shelf road overlooking i70 few more inches it would have been a done deal . It took two winches a bit of rigging and as an extra precaution I dug tracks out in the snow pack I slid on so it was not relying on dead beat up trees to hold a 5500 lb jeep .

And that’s exactly the reason I don’t wanna go 😂

Back