• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear leaf shackles

tuckholladay

NAXJA Forum User
So, since I put on my lift I was pretty sure the old rusty shackles were going to bust and one finally did.

I am not sure what to do to replace though.

I have the 3.5in RE kit on. I don't do a lot of hardcore wheeling, drive it on a lot of job sites ect.

I am wondering what brands people recommend, if I should get a relocation bracket, if it is worth it to get a shackle with multiple height settings. Any advice helping me make a purchase would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's up to you, but I went with Rustys .75" shackle, as it was the closest I could get to stock and still get greasable bushings.

I have some much longer shackles, but they gave too much lift.

I felt, even tho I do little wheeling, the stock shackles were too flimsy, and had no way to grease them.

i ran the RE boomerang shackles with the 3.5" RE leafs. the shackle angle was fairly vertical. i added shackle relocation brackets and it works wonderfully.

i still run the same leafs/brackets, but now have the boostwerks shackles.

rubicon express boomerang shackles will mimic a better shackle angle for better ride quality

Not really....unless by mimic you mean 'look' better but not really 'be' better.

They will appear to be better, but you still have the same straight line between the upper & lower bolts, so the angle is no better in reality.

Now, if you use longer shackles, then yes, they could change the angle some, but it will also add lift to the rear of the jeep, which may not be desired.

Not really....unless by mimic you mean 'look' better but not really 'be' better.

They will appear to be better, but you still have the same straight line between the upper & lower bolts, so the angle is no better in reality.

Now, if you use longer shackles, then yes, they could change the angle some, but it will also add lift to the rear of the jeep, which may not be desired.

Yes, I mistyped/misthought...should have been longer springs

This.

IRO shackle, good build and greaseable, but again as stated above the angle is not changing unless you use different springs or relocation brackets. I to run a RE 3.5.

It's up to you, but I went with Rustys .75" shackle, as it was the closest I could get to stock and still get greasable bushings.
Would you recommend these for a stock, daily driver? Not looking to deviate much from stock parameters. I'm gathering parts for some stock Dorman spring replacements in the near future. I'm running a 1990 RENIX to the store for groceries. No thread hijack intended.

It's what I am running on my daily driver.....but mine has some mods to it.....4 1/2" lift

But if you are stock, and you put them on along with new springs at the same time, it may give you more lift than you want, depending on how bad your current springs are sagging.

i recently did ironman fab relocation brackets & 6 " shackles , changed my angle from 80 degrees to 55 , didnt lift it any and rides way smoother on the road, springs flex better off road too.

Back