• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head gasket? Also water pump recommend

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ, 4.0, about 260K miles

it runs SUPER strong and quiet. I just replaced the VCG with a new Fel-Pro and now that it's not pouring oil out there I see that I have a leak on the pass side of the engine. It's either leaking from the head gasket between 3 & 4 or else oil is being thrown out around whatever that is in the distributor hole. Suspect head gasket. Also: I did not see any casting numbers on head when I had VC off so possible head has been replaced.

Is this a real concern? Am thinking I'll take VC off again and torque head bolts and if it still leaks then just let it leak, is that a problem or opening myself up to possibility of failure? I don't want to put a lot of money/effort into this thing as I'm hoping my finances turn around soon and I'll be able to sell this and buy a better vehicle at some point, but I was desperate when I got this.

Additionally, I have a coolant leak that I initially thought was the thermo housing but now it looks like it's actually the WP gasket. Am thinking to just replace both to cover my bases. If I have to pull water pump not knowing the history of this guy I'd as soon replace it than reinstall an unknown miles old one. Who makes a good, reliable WP for the 4.0 at a reasonable price? I've already got a thermo gasket and a new Robert Shaw thermo.

thanks!

Check the oil filter adapter and oil pressure sensor. Those are pretty common leak points too. I had a 4.0 that weeped oil on the pass side from the head gasket and re-torquing the head bolts made no difference. It's just the galley for the push rods on that side with nothing pressurized so shouldn't be a big leak if that's it.

Yeah at 260k miles, I wouldn't doubt the water pump is shot and starting to leak through the weep hole.

I'm not seeing oil coming from there, what I am seeing is that the side of the block is wet right behind where the distributor would be if it had one. I know about the OF adapter, had to do that on my '99. This one runs a lot more oil pressure than my much lower miles '99 did, about 55 PSI at hot cruise, even up to 60 when cold. But I'm just starting at the top and working down trying to keep most of the oil in the engine. VC gasket was definitely shot, you'd get a nice whiff of hot oil coming through the vents on a hot restart.

The funny thing is the suspected WP leak is on the TOP of the pump not the bottom.

Back