• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

common steering box leak points

dspilot

NAXJA Forum User
I have a PS fluid leak, and in looking to get it fixed, I was wondering where are some common place that these boxes leak from? Any input on fixing it would be great too.:repair:

Mine had a leak at the in put shaft and I pulled it out and took seal part number to napa and got a new one.

common points include faulty hoses, the o-rings around the connectors where the hoses screw in the gear box, and the seals in the powersteering pump itself. Odds are if its got high-mileage and you have the money, it wouldn't be bad to replace the pump and hoses and then flush the system and add new ps fluid. also make sure you properly tension the serpentine belt b/c too high a tension will lead to premature ps pump failure and too low a tension will lead to a slipping belt which won't give you the power you need to turn the wheels.

I have used some stop leak fluid and much to my surprise it worked fine on a small leak on the pressure hose. After a while it started leaking again so I replaced the pressure and return hose. Only the pressure hose was leaking but while I was at it i also replaced the retour and flushed the PS system with fresh fluid. This is an easy job to do yourself and the parts are relatively inexpensive.

In answer to your question: I found that the magic of stop-leak fluids seems to work temporary on a small leak.

Good luck!

O-ring between the pump body and the resivour(sp).
Wayne

Back