• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum port ID

unclethumbtack

NAXJA Forum User
I have this vacuum port on my 96 that is not there on my 2000. I cannot find a good vacuum diagram to tell me what it is. At this time I just have it blocked off. Anybody tell me where it goes?
what-1.jpg

I have 2 RENIX Jeeps. I have 2 ports in that area. One is split off to the fuel pressure regulator. The other goes to back of valve cover (CCV). The "tree" that goes of the FPR also provides vac for the EGR solenoid. Since you don'r have an EGR it could go to either the CCV or the FPR.

My 96 Country has a plug in that hole, but I think the James Bond Edition of the XJ uses that vacuum port to regulate the oil slick and smoke screen solenoids based on engine RPMs.

I think that goes to the EVAP canister , or the purge solenoid w/CA emissions. I think the CCV is on the other side of the TB.

on my 95 that port connects to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, and to the evap canister. AFAIK the OBDII models (96 and up) don't use the return line for the fuel tank so they may not have the regulator built into the rail like my OBDI 95 does. Is the vacuum diagram on the firewall missing? if you can locate a factory service manual they are all printed in there.

On the 1996 they moved the pressure regulator into the tank. So I am thinking that may have been for the fuel pressure regulator for when it was under the hood.

This is from the Autozone site. You have have to register to view it. This is the CA emissions. 49 State has the hose connected directly to the canister.

0900c152800a9b95.gif

This is from the Autozone site. You have have to register to view it. This is the CA emissions. 49 State has the hose connected directly to the canister.

0900c152800a9b95.gif

That image is for a RENIX era XJ.Map sensor is now located on TB. The intake in OP is not stock to a 96 era XJ.

Likely a left over 95 engine intake manifold made its way onto a 96 production vehicle.

Check your vehicle emissions decal under the hood.

That image is for a RENIX era XJ.Map sensor is now located on TB. The intake in OP is not stock to a 96 era XJ.

that diagram fits my 95 exactly, and it's an HO not a renix. As mentioned above the renix models had the EGR setup. That diagram is of an OBDI HO model.

I did a parking lot survey on jeeps at my work. The 1991 had a vacuum line that ran to an evap canister. Secondly checked a 1997 and the port is plugged off. I think it is suppose to be plugged.

AutoZone has it wrong, we All can agree on that, Map sensor is on TB not firewall,Canister,solonoid and filter are on pass side of engine bay.

Unless thats just the way they do the diagrams ?

Corn-fusing, ain't it?

Note--the Renix 4.0 has a COMBINATION EGR soleniod and EVAP purge valve.

Back