• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Rebuild??

Centrevillemx

NAXJA Forum User
Whats a 4.0 liter topend rebuild kit cost? Also does that engine restorer work o egine with 160k on em?

An engine rebuild can run anywhere from about $2000 to $5000, depending on how extensively you want to rebuild, and how badly worn the engine is.

Why do you ask? 160k is nothing for an XJ 4.0L engine. My '88 has 236,000+ and still gets 23 MPG on a trip. We have members with well over 300,000 on their engines.

A leakdown test and a close reading of the plugs will tell the story. Unless there are other issues such as low oil pressure and/or mechanical noises.

I agree with Eagle...

Centrev.....

Why are you asking? Not running well or just assuming because of the mileage it must be worn/wearing out?

The 'engine restore' additives are a joke. There are some that will give a measure of improvement designed to soften up rubber seals like in auto trans use, but nothing will really help with worn hard parts.

Well My dad seems to think its not running okay and allittle rough but thats when it is started cold and it is warming up. Once everything warms up it runs great. 160K is about when my moms trooper motor blew so I'm just wondering.....

4.0 is diff-

Well as has been alluded to, do the standard tests to see the overall condition: Leak down/compression test to determine piston rings/bore and valve sealing condition, as well as make an accurate assessment of the oil pressure when hot as an indicator of bearing/journal wear.

If those parameters are within specs look in other areas- tune up, injectors, vac leaks. The Trooper engine was due for replacement or big repair, not normally the 4.0. Completely different animal.

Back