• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

school me on lokka lockers

chuck619120

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Please tell me your experiences with the ordering and delivery. Looks like it is same as any other lunchbox locker, but priced far below others. Is there a reason for this? Thanks in advance.

Home site: http://lokka.com/site/

I've ordered and received two, d44 and a d30. Both separate occasions. No problem, operated better than my old lockrights. I'd buy again.

I would recommend the front axle first. It is a fairly simple install. I personally pull the diff to do it. Easier on a bench then on your back.

The rear is a little more tricky. There are notches in the center blocks to drop the c clips through for the axle shafts. Never done one in the jeep but I spent 3 times longer in the rear than the front. Even with much less parts to remove

Lokka is the name that Aussie Locker is using on the states now.

I did an Aussie in the front and it was cake. I used a Spartan in the rear (8.8 Ford) and it was a bit more involved.

Yes. Read the grey box halfway down the linked page on the left.

http://lokka.com/site/

You sure about that Lokka/Aussie statement?

I had a long drawn out response but decided to go straight to the source. At one point in time, they were the same. They aren't anymore. Aussie is made my Torque Masters now and is apparently 100% US made.
Lokka still seems to remain in Australia and doesn't suffer from the "I know its the same quality as something made internationally, but since it has a USA stamp on it, we'll upcharge you for it" issue.

Warranties look almost identical and if I recall correctly from reading about this in the last year, I think TM bought the rights to the Aussie name and make the same locker here stateside.

And then there is this from Lokka:
Q22. What is the history of LOKKA?

LOKKA has been manufactured in Australia since the late 1990’s and has been sold globally under its own brand name or re-branded for local resellers.
From 2003 to 2012 it was best known in North America under the brand name Aussie Locker™*

The Aussie Locker™ model listing was only a small subset of the total number of products that were available.

Gear to Goannawhere is very pleased to offer the entire product range without limitation (to suit USA, Asian & European models) and with a 3 Year Limited International Warranty.
All development and manufacturing design of the key components has always been performed in Australia.
To ensure the highest product quality, all Designs, Manufacturing techniques and international Patents are proprietary and have never been externally licensed to third parties.
Any representations to the contrary are false.

LOKKA enjoys an excellent reputation for reliability throughout the world – sold in every continent, in all realms of 4x4 and 2x4 performance activity.

Hi Folks, Cora from Torq-Masters here, hope I can clear things up, there's a lot of rumor and misinformation about Aussie and Lokka out there.

The Aussie Locker has always been owned by Torq-Masters, we introduced the Aussie in 2003. There would be no Aussie Locker if not for Torq-Masters, the Aussie name has never been licensed or rebranded - but it was sold when Torq-Masters was sold in 2014. We are focusing more on the Torq-Masters parent company name now that we are introducing new products such as the TORQ Locker and soon a line of made in USA axle shafts. From 2003 to 2012 we outsourced the Aussie Locker manufacturing to Australia, the same machine shop made lockers for a few companies including Lokka. For a number of reasons we chose to move manufacturing to the USA in 2012. After loosing our large account, said machine shop added some intentionally misleading and flat out false comments to their product page about Aussie Locker to try to gain customers based on the reputation Aussie Locker and Torq-Masters has built. We have perused legal action against these false statements.

So what's the difference?

Warranty: AL = 2 year manufacturing defects, no restrictions. LL = 3 year, driving on pavement voids warranty with rear locker and manual transmission, or front locker and non lock-out hubs aka your XJ Dana 30. The LL full warranty is not on their website, only in the install manual after you purchase the unit. The full AL warranty is on our website.

Quality: Slapping a Made in USA sticker on a unit is not just a way to upcharge folks, it's a quality indicator. The Aussie and TORQ locker are the highest quality auto lockers on the market made from the highest quality steel, we can say this with confidence because we've tested our competitors. The Aussie and TORQ are the only auto lockers made 100% in the USA using 100% USA made 9310 alloy steel, in an ISO certified facility (note, ISO certification is not to be taken lightly, not many companies are manufacturing in ISO certified facilities). Take a look around at other companies, look to see if they list the steel grade used, where their parts are made, ISO certifications, or if they list any of this information at all. Heat treating is also super important, if the heat treat is not even, you will get stress risers where the gears can crack and cause catastrophic damage within the differential (no auto lockers have collateral damage clauses in their warranty). The Aussie and TORQ are held to a super tight heat treat tolerance for Rockwell hardness, our heat treat facility holds within one unit of HRC across the part. We have not seen this consistency of heat treat from any overseas facilities in the locker market.

Check out the most recent issue of CRAWL magazine for a factory tour of Torq-Masters, the article has some cool shots from heat treat too.

Customer Service: Customer Service is a top priority for Torq-Masters, owned and operated by Offroaders, we've been in your shoes, and we know what it's like to be blown off by a company when you need help on nights and weekends. We go the extra mile. If you have an issue with Lokka, their only contact info is the 'Contact Us' section of the website, no phone or email listed.

Bottom Line:

There are plenty of folks that have run all the different auto locker brands out there, some with success, some without. They are not all apples to apples. Like many things in life (especially machined goods) you get what you pay for.

Please tell me your experiences with the ordering and delivery. Looks like it is same as any other lunchbox locker, but priced far below others. Is there a reason for this? Thanks in advance.

Home site: http://lokka.com/site/

For the pricing question, here is our best analysis.

The folks selling Lokka are 'dumping' on the US market. We have perused legal options on this as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumping_(pricing_policy)

"In economics, "dumping" is a kind of predatory pricing, especially in the context of international trade. It occurs when manufacturers export a product to another country at a price either below the price charged in its home market or below its cost of production. The purpose of this act is sometimes to increase market share in a foreign market or to drive out competition."

We call this Dumping because they have no USA dealers, or any dealer network, so you can assume they have no profit margin to offer a dealer.

Also, if you are in Australia you can not buy a Lokka through their website (which has the low prices), you have to buy through the only Australian distributor for almost 2X the price.

For the pricing question, here is our best analysis.

The folks selling Lokka are 'dumping' on the US market. We have perused legal options on this as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumping_(pricing_policy)

"In economics, "dumping" is a kind of predatory pricing, especially in the context of international trade. It occurs when manufacturers export a product to another country at a price either below the price charged in its home market or below its cost of production. The purpose of this act is sometimes to increase market share in a foreign market or to drive out competition."

We call this Dumping because they have no USA dealers, or any dealer network, so you can assume they have no profit margin to offer a dealer.

Also, if you are in Australia you can not buy a Lokka through their website (which has the low prices), you have to buy through the only Australian distributor for almost 2X the price.

Yeah, but you kind of just proved my point on the USA branding. It's a product that could be sold much cheaper and still be plenty profitable but since there is a demand for 'Made in USA', it can be priced higher. It's basic supply and demand and I don't necessarily fault anyone for using that advantage. With some, that is a major factor in buying stuff. With others, it's not.
Also, and I'm not saying this about TorqueMasters, but just as a general statement. There is a reason there is the cliche "Certified but not qualified." I know far too many people in various fields with degrees and certifications who have less knowledge then the HS or less graduates who have actually mastered their trades.

While I totally agree with the made in USA thing, I am also a guy who makes a wage in same said USA. I will buy USA made products when I can but also need to save a buck (works in USA). If these they can sell here for there price why can't you? I need to save a buck too!

PS: I work in maching also and the machine don't care what u pay for the product. You set up the specs and feed the material, and it makes it. Same steel, same program(that u supply) same product

Last edited:
Dana 30: Aussie 259, Lokka 200
8.25: Aussie 319, Lokka 269
Pair: Aussie Not available on website, Lokka 460

If what I'm reading above is true, then the difference in build quality can easily justify the price difference.

PS: I work in maching also and the machine don't care what u pay for the product. You set up the specs and feed the material, and it makes it. Same steel, same program(that u supply) same product
Please support your claim that the two different companies use the same material and same processes to produce similar products.

Here's some background on pricing and quality.

In 2012 when we moved manufacturing to the USA, we also priced out manufacturing in China. The Chinese made parts were 56% less than the USA made parts at production volume. The Chinese factories we vetted could not source the 9310 steel we specified, so they quoted 8620 steel which is cheaper but not as durable or long lasting. If we were a publicly traded company, that only cared about dividends, we would have moved manufacturing to China and increased our profitability by 56%. As mentioned before we are owned and operated by offroaders, we are offroaders first, and only want to offer the best products we can, because we can.

Can we make Aussie Lockers cheaper in China = Yes
Will Overseas made Aussie Lockers be the same Quality as USA Made Aussie Lockers = NO!

Budget - I totally get it, I've been building jeeps on a tight budget for a long time. There's always the judgement call, do you want the Best or the Cheapest? Rattle can paint job and chromoly shafts, that was my CJ! Priorities right?

~Cora

I suggested Lokka to a friend not too long ago who was on an extremely tight budget.

It took *WEEKS* to get his locker. No tracking info, no communication, they wouldn't respond to emails.

FWIW an extra $60 is worth it for a company who offers customer service.

I suggested Lokka to a friend not too long ago who was on an extremely tight budget.

It took *WEEKS* to get his locker. No tracking info, no communication, they wouldn't respond to emails.

FWIW an extra $60 is worth it for a company who offers customer service.

Yeah. If they won't communicate with you when you're buying it, think about how responsive they'll be with tech info or if you have any issue.......

Back