NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 9th, 2016, 10:55
NAXJA Forum User

1991 XJ Limited - Project "It's About Time"

And speaking of paint, over the years my body side molding turned to an ugly light brown and started to come off. So what does a teenager do when molding comes off and looks bad? He gorilla glues it back on.

So after hours with a DA sander, I finally got it pretty enough to paint. It's not perfect by any means. I'm debating body armor thy would cover it up, but then again who am I fooling, I'm not going to wheel this hard enough to smash it against rocks. I'd like to run some light trails and things, but I won't lie when I say this will mostly be a rod warrior. Of course who knows. The big could bite and I might end up at 8" but I doubt it.

Painted the sides and took the gold on striping off with a "Whizzy Wheel."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 13th, 2016, 09:15
NAXJA Forum User

My front axle is shot. It's sloppy, clunks pretty bad and makes all kinds of racket at highway speed. I grabbed a lower mileage HP30 and am checking it out before I buy a Spicer rebuild kit for the joints. I seem to have about .005"-.006" backlash if I'm doing this right? Plunger perpendicular to the ring gear land, fixing the yoke, and racking back and forth.

Old August 13th, 2016, 09:20
NAXJA Forum User

If this is correct, I'm right on the lower end of spec. Wonder if it was rebuilt at some point. I'll run this.

http://www.crawlpedia.com/ring_pinion_setup.htm

Old August 15th, 2016, 09:23
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 1991 XJ Limited - Project "It's About Time"

coming along nicely!

also have a white limited 92. build thread here if you are curious what itll look like on 33s

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1124611
Old August 15th, 2016, 09:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman! View Post
coming along nicely!

also have a white limited 92. build thread here if you are curious what itll look like on 33s

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1124611

Thanks!! I've read your build thread - looks like a fun rig!

Old August 15th, 2016, 09:40
NAXJA Forum User

Update from the weekend:

I opened up my lower mileage HP30 to check backlash and do a brief visual inspection before dropping some coin on new u-joints, ball joints, spindle shafts and tube seals. Everything looked great. Backlash was .006" which is right on the tight end of spec.

Also, I ended up snagging some 285/75-16's which essentially is a 33x11.5 for $100. They have over half tread so this will get me by over the winter at least then I can put some money into new rubber when I get some more mechanical issues out of the way.

Old August 15th, 2016, 09:54
NAXJA Forum User

As you can tell I have some old crappy road tires installed currently. I seem to be struggling with what I can only describe as a camber problem. I'm not exactly sure what would cause camber on a fixed axle. I do know for a fact that I only started to experience this tire wear after the lift. About 3000 miles ago this tire tread pattern was even. I know I'm slightly toed in as well but sometimes you can visually see the camber.

The plan is to install this lower mileage Dana 30, get the tires installed then get it aligned. But I'm tempted to spend the money and get it aligned right now to see what my reading is on camber.

Old August 15th, 2016, 12:26
NAXJA Member

Improper toe can cause that. If you never aligned it after the lift, that's the problem.
Old August 15th, 2016, 12:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Improper toe can cause that. If you never aligned it after the lift, that's the problem.

Thanks, I hope that's what it is. I'm gonna be parking the Jeep for a few weeks hopefully after this week. I just ordered ball joints, u-joints, axle seals, and spindle shafts for the axle you see in the pics above, so I'll be removing those from the equation.

I've been reading and I think you're right that toe can cause it to look cambered.

What about front pinion angle...my front pinion is 7 degrees below my DS angle currently. I'll also be purchasing adjustable UCAs - will pointing the pinion up a couple degrees by lengthening the UCAs cause a problem with caster, making my steering like a shopping cart...?

Old August 15th, 2016, 13:18
NAXJA Member

It may. That's the only real advantage I see of the CAD 30's used that year. I just keep my caster high and don't worry about pinion since my front ds only spins when I engage the CAD in the axle.

SeXJ Build Thread
Old August 15th, 2016, 13:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1977p View Post
It may. That's the only real advantage I see of the CAD 30's used that year. I just keep my caster high and don't worry about pinion since my front ds only spins when I engage the CAD in the axle.

Yeah - I get a vibration from the front with the DS installed. Uninstalled smooth as butter. Well smooth as a jeep on the highway - that's relative...

It's also possible my axle has something to do with it. I know I'm out of spec on backlash so it could be a multitude of things.

I'll get the front axle in and then assess the angles.

Old August 15th, 2016, 13:25
NAXJA Member

BL is perfectly within spec. With ds out and it's smooth, it's certainly your DS. Could just need a rebuild and balance. Lots of folks get away without turning the C's on D30's by just balancing and rebuilding the front DS and getting pinion angle right. Caster takes a hit but most don't think it's noticeable or care. I'd rather be safe so I chose caster over pinion angle and leave the front axle disconnected except when wheeling.

SeXJ Build Thread
Old August 15th, 2016, 13:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1977p View Post
BL is perfectly within spec. With ds out and it's smooth, it's certainly your DS. Could just need a rebuild and balance. Lots of folks get away without turning the C's on D30's by just balancing and rebuilding the front DS and getting pinion angle right. Caster takes a hit but most don't think it's noticeable or care. I'd rather be safe so I chose caster over pinion angle and leave the front axle disconnected except when wheeling.

The axle I have on the floor is within spec. The axle that's in the jeep now isn't (350k miles never rebuilt).

I am doing exactly what you're doing. I have the DS out as well. I really should only need it if I'm off-road or in the snow for half a day per year so I'm not too worried about it.

I'd probably be riding highway speed more often than wheeling per year, so I like your thinking there.

Old August 16th, 2016, 10:34
NAXJA Forum User

So my toe is 67" even on the front of the front wheels and 68" on the back of the front wheels. So that needs adjusting. I hear to leave it "slightly" toe in. Perfectly even would be 67.5 across the front and 67.5 across the back. What would be "slightly" toe in in this case?

Old August 16th, 2016, 12:18
NAXJA Forum User

About 1/8 inch toe in. So 67 7/16 front and 67 9/16 rear. 1/8 difference. In and out for toe refer to the relation of the front of the tie to center.