NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 19th, 2014, 04:45
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Coolant Filter install - 2000 XJ

OK I am going to sneak in a question. Is the coolant in 1990 XJ 4.0 engine forced to go to back cylinder through its travel or is it just passively expected to cool that area through wishfull thinking? The only other possibility is that I have blocked water jacket! mine over heats in funny way. It boils over before the temp goes past 180 F idling, and I see bubbles in reservoir, then when it cools more it sucks the coolant all back in the engine, like there was a big steam bubble. it is better when driving but temp still goes high.
Can anybody guide in the right direction? I still cant start a thread thats why I had to ask this way.
Old March 21st, 2016, 10:00
NAXJA Forum User

Has anyone cut open a filter yet to see what this is catching?
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paacki View Post
Is the coolant in 1990 XJ 4.0 engine forced to go to back cylinder through its travel or is it just passively expected to cool that area through wishfull thinking?
Yes, it is supposed to go through the head. However, if you have a blockage before the temp sensor (had this problem) it won't indicate the overheat, but you'll see coolant come out areas it shouldn't.
Old March 21st, 2016, 13:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomero View Post
Has anyone cut open a filter yet to see what this is catching?
I have not cut open a filter (yet), but I can only imagine how much it's keeping the system clean. When I bought the Jeep, it had a very dirty cooling system. I added a coolant filter when I installed a new radiator. No matter how many times you flush the system, there will always be some particles floating around. The system cleaned up quickly and continues to stay clean.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 21:09
NAXJA Forum User

Hey guys. So I just went through this MOD on my 99 XJ and am running into a bit of a problem. My defrost and heat are almost non-existent now. After flooring it on the highway I have mild heat but defrost is still blowing cold. I'm also noticing the usual 190 engine temp that my jeep has is now 213ish, give or take a few degrees. It'll drop a little when I'm driving on the highway but as soon as I'm off it, it'll start creeping back up to 210-215. I haven't let it sit yet to see if it overheats.

I'm running the exact setup as the original poster, minus the shut off valves and other brass fittings. The inlet hose going from the pump to the filter to the heater core is not very warm (room temp I guess) nor is the new filter, but the outlet hose coming from the heater core back to the pump is the usual hot to touch temp. So this shows that the heater core is heating something. This is the usual symptoms I run into when I have a blocked heater core, only the inlet and outlet are usually hot. I'm pretty sure the heater core is not blocked as I had heat and defrost before I did this mod.

I'm also pretty sure I have it all connected correctly. The inlet from the pump is connected to the inlet on the filter head. The outlet from the filter head is connected to the inlet on the heater core (ie. I just disconnected the 5/8" heater core inlet and connected it to the filter head).

My only guess is that the filter is impeding the coolant flow. Has anyone else run into this issue and what was your solution? I do have a lot of rust and crap in my system thanks to the previous owner neglecting it but I made sure to run a good long flush before I did this so there wouldn't be any blockages. I guess my next step is to disconnect the hoses and directly connect from the pump back into the heater core to see if the filter is, in fact, causing the issue. I'll keep you all posted.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 22:08
NAXJA Forum User

It's possible that your filter is already clogged. It doesn't take long to clog a filter if you have a dirty system.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 22:09
NAXJA Member

Sounds like you have an air pocket trapped in your heater core.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 22:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselenthusiast View Post
It's possible that your filter is already clogged. It doesn't take long to clog a filter if you have a dirty system.
I doubt it's that. When I flushed I was getting clear water so i'd expect at least a week or two before it fully gets clogged with rust scale.

@trippled wouldn't the air pocket have moved to the overflow after driving the vehicle for 40 mins? I made sure to squeeze all the hoses while the engine was running to get the air out but I guess that might still be the issue.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathfireD View Post
I doubt it's that. When I flushed I was getting clear water so i'd expect at least a week or two before it fully gets clogged with rust scale.
I was basing my comment on your comment, "I do have a lot of rust and crap in my system" If you have a lot of rust and debris in your system, it can clog the filter pretty quickly, especially if using a smaller micron filter such as the Donaldson filter. Or, if this is your initial cleanup with the very first filter, then it's recommend that you change it within the first thousand miles or so on a dirty system. After the first filter, then you can move to longer intervals (10,000 mile/1 year intervals). To check for a clogged filter, you can always do the hand test. If the filter is too hot to touch, then it's probably not clogged. If you can touch the filter and hold onto it, then it's a good sign that it's clogged.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 08:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathfireD View Post

@trippled wouldn't the air pocket have moved to the overflow after driving the vehicle for 40 mins? I made sure to squeeze all the hoses while the engine was running to get the air out but I guess that might still be the issue.
No. They can be pretty stubborn sometimes. You can try jacking the front end up as high as you can and running with the Cap off. Or pull a vacuum on the system. Sometimes running the engine and pulling the heater hose off some to bleed coolant thru will work (cold engine of course.) Some Audis had a special heater hose for that actually.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselenthusiast View Post
I was basing my comment on your comment, "I do have a lot of rust and crap in my system" If you have a lot of rust and debris in your system, it can clog the filter pretty quickly, especially if using a smaller micron filter such as the Donaldson filter. Or, if this is your initial cleanup with the very first filter, then it's recommend that you change it within the first thousand miles or so on a dirty system. After the first filter, then you can move to longer intervals (10,000 mile/1 year intervals). To check for a clogged filter, you can always do the hand test. If the filter is too hot to touch, then it's probably not clogged. If you can touch the filter and hold onto it, then it's a good sign that it's clogged.
Gotcha. I'm using a Luber Finer LFW4685. I cant find any information on the micron rating for it but I'm guessing it's the same as Wix.

So today I drove around more, alternating between the defroster and the heat. I'm noticing it's still blowing cooler air but it is starting to get warmer compared to yesterday. The jeep is still running hotter than usual though. The filter is also warm to the touch and so is the intake hoses. The output hose is still the usual hot to touch. I was going to try going back to the stock setup today to rule out the heater core but I'm short on time so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I did park on a hill with the engine facing up hill, undid the radiator cap, and turned on the jeep while squeezing the hoses again.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:51
NAXJA Member

If you undo any hoses, back flush the heater core.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 18:42
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoid View Post
If you undo any hoses, back flush the heater core.
Yea I should've said that as well. If you had that much crap in the coolant I wouldn't be surprised if the heater core is getting plugged up. Youd be amazed how much junk will be inside those.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 18:49
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Yea I should've said that as well. If you had that much crap in the coolant I wouldn't be surprised if the heater core is getting plugged up. Youd be amazed how much junk will be inside those.
Or how fast it can get lodged in the core. An old timer told me to bypass the heater core whenever I flush the cooling system.
Old November 4th, 2016, 12:02
NAXJA Forum User

I usually backflush the heater core separate but ya I'll be sure to flush it again. I did it a week ago which is why I don't think it's blocked. It usually takes 4 months before it's blocked on me.