• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project XJ Rubi

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all so I picked up a 1995 XJ a few years ago with big plans on building it up. After some personal set backs and even more business failures, I am finally in the place to build my jeep the way I want. I am starting with a 1995 4 door and plan the following for my build.

6.5" IRO Long Arm lift with adjustable control arms and DT8000 shocks. I am going to be running the JKS quick Discos as well.

SYE kit for my NP231, until I move up to Rubicon transfer case that I will be picking up off a buddy in a few months.

I will be running 33x12.50 Ironman MT's on 15x8 steelies.

I was able to get an excellent deal on a set of Dana 44 Rubicon axles with only 7k miles on them. They are being set up to bolt under the XJ now. They are 4.10 gears and of course have E-Lockers.

I will be running a Rough Country front winch bumper with stinger and the RC Pro series 9500 synthetic winch.

I am fitting the jeep with a dual battery setup consisting of Optima Yellow tops and the Painless Wiring kit.

I plan on upgrading my steering to the Durango steering box as well as the Durango Alternator for my power needs.

I am going to be running a 50" lightbar and dual 4" pods in the front as well as dual 4" pods in the rear as back up/go F yourself lights.

I have decided to Monstaliner the exterior of the jeep, in a color to be determined soon.

I know there are those that are going to say I am stupid to build this XJ and spend the money, but honestly I don't care. If you feel that way, great, but keep your opinions on my build to yourself.

If anyone has any advice, I will gladly take it. I will begin starting to post pics of the build, once I get back in town and get fully started. Thank you for taking to time to read my post.

Sounds like youre on the right track.

Few suggestions
-Id go 4.5" for your lift, 6.5" for 33s is a little tall. Their new 3 link is pretty sweet.
-Make sure you swap in a WJ pump with the durango box.
-I'd reconsider the RC bumper. A lot better bumpers for the price.
-Id recommend frame stiffners

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I went ahead and purchased the Iron Rock Off-road 5.5” 3 link system. I got the JKS quick disconnects and the doescht tech shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, few people around here have got it installed and like it.

Honestly I’ll jump to 35’s once I finish my Rubicon axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd gear to 4.56 at the least for 35's, but since you're at a lower elevation you can probably do fine with the 4.10's. On my XJ I ran 4.11's and 33's I was always left wanting deeper gears in certain situations. On the next build I'm planning 35's and will go 4.88 or 5.13.

If it’s going to be a DD with a lot of highway I’d go with 4.56s for 35s. If it’s going to be primarily a trail rig I’d go at least 4.88s.

With an AW4 the 4.88's work great, on and off the road.

Even with 35's I wouldn't go 6.5" of lift. 4.5" and proper trimming/bump stopping works very well.

I think it is a group 34 that fits.

Should be this, I just swapped this into my MJ. Think it's the 97+ that have the bigger battery.

Back