• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chinaman Gultch, 4-30-17

An unfortunate part of wheeling. That's where having CB's and radios come handy. If we could've talked between the front and rear of the groups we could have possibly come up with another solution. IE, once David and I got off the trail I could've loaded my Jeep up and had David run my drag link to him. Hind sight being 20/20 of course.

The biggest thing I learned from this is at the very least the front person and the rear person need to be connected via CB.

I think that's all we had in the group of 9 was 2 good CB's :laugh:

Wow! There is a trip report in here, somewhere...

I've been working on getting some pics up, I should be able to have the trip report up this evening - sitting in class as we speak. :gee:

Last edited:
Admittedly I run trails fairly fast and I myself don't have a CB in my Jeep yet. So yeah, its my own fault I didn't have communication with the rest of the group. That said I am open/open, stock gears, and on at least 50% worn 33's with it being only my 2nd time ever (first time was in 2014 with my JK) on that trail. I also had never wheeled that XJ before or gone wheeling at all since 2015. Its not like I was setting a trail record for fastest time through the loop.

I understand for the most part, I know we at bare minimum we need to have a CB leading and a CB at the tail.

You may not have been setting a record for fastest time, but once Weston's draglink broke it wouldn't have mattered if you were going slow or not, you would have beat us no matter what as we were stopped, 45 minutes at least.

I understand for the most part, I know we at bare minimum we need to have a CB leading and a CB at the tail.

You may not have been setting a record for fastest time, but once Weston's draglink broke it wouldn't have mattered if you were going slow or not, you would have beat us no matter what as we were stopped, 45 minutes at least.

Not to mention we had to drag him up the hill once it bent. Thanks for the hand signal work on that hjeepxj. I couldn't see anything else haha.

Awesome trail day tho. Had a blast, and the Jeep did great.

True, but other than the one on my Jeep allowing me to steer its not like I had a drag link to give him either. I would've pulled it off once I was on the trailer at the trail head, but somebody would've still needed to run it up to him.

In the end its just an unfortunate part of wheeling, especially in such big groups. With 2-4 rigs its easy to keep track of everybody with or without CB's/Radios. When you have around 10 rigs total its just not going to happen. Even with CB's a lot of the time the last vehicle and front vehicle will be too far apart to communicate, then you need people in the middle to relay messages. It doesn't always work any better.

Yeah what's up with all the slowness at the rear :gee:

LOL...Stock tie rods in the middle and driving by Braille . Need to mount my old generac on the front of the trailer and bring a welder and basic cutting tools and some tube and plate so I can make stuff on the spot had I had that I could have rebuilt that drag link and tie rod for Westin at trail head .

I begged them to wait, but they were adamant about leaving everyone behind. I wish I could have done more, but I was just a passenger... All of my pleas were answered with just maniacal laughter. ;)

Last edited:
I had a good day on the trail was a fun day wheeling...lol...was the first trip since Carnage in 2014 . I got a Ranger RCI F150 tuned sitting that is supposed to go in the rig you can hear that for 15 miles

I begged them to wait, but they were adamant about leaving everyone behind. I wish I could have done more, but I was just a passenger... All of my pleas were answered with just maniacal laughter. ;)

Pretty sure it was your idea there "Dad" .!.. :D ..!.

And there is nothing wrong with driving by Braille. I've been doing it since my Samurai days back in 2003.

Last edited:
That's all I have on mine. The trick is to use your diffs and t-case as feelers, not your tires or steering.

Was thinking the same thing Sunday morning with gas in the Jeep I said the group could push or tow me on trail since gas is just unnecessary weight , but no one was feeling me .

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Back