• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix wiring diagram errors / relay position

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
For anyone that has a real renix wiring diagram (not reprinted from pirate etc, those too blurry) I've found some errors that drove me crazy for a little bit. In my manual #8980010547, USA Canada ed. revised Jan 1987, the pin out at the ECU for "Latch Relay" says it's B9 when in fact it is A9 and this is confirmed in the ECU connector chart. Also the diagnostic connector pin is printed as "D2-6" when in fact it is D2-3 confirmed in the diagnostic connector chart on the next page. I've traced the wires on my own jeep and have found these corrections to be true. Other errors that I have seen on the diagram but not verified are pin outs for shift light, EGR, F/P relay, inj #4 & inj#6.

This brings me to the question of relay positions. In the manual, it says that they are ,from front of the vehicle to the back:

1. O2 Sensor
2. Fuel Pump
3. B+ Latch
4. AC clutch

were on my jeep they are totally reversed... I did take them off the bracket a little while ago to clean that area. I thought I put them back correctly, but just wanted to verify one way or the other from anybody else.

SuperRA said:
For anyone that has a real renix wiring diagram (not reprinted from pirate etc, those too blurry) I've found some errors that drove me crazy for a little bit. In my manual #8980010547, USA Canada ed. revised Jan 1987, the pin out at the ECU for "Latch Relay" says it's B9 when in fact it is A9 and this is confirmed in the ECU connector chart. Also the diagnostic connector pin is printed as "D2-6" when in fact it is D2-3 confirmed in the diagnostic connector chart on the next page. I've traced the wires on my own jeep and have found these corrections to be true. Other errors that I have seen on the diagram but not verified are pin outs for shift light, EGR, F/P relay, inj #4 & inj#6.

This brings me to the question of relay positions. In the manual, it says that they are ,from front of the vehicle to the back:

1. O2 Sensor
2. Fuel Pump
3. B+ Latch
4. AC clutch

were on my jeep they are totally reversed... I did take them off the bracket a little while ago to clean that area. I thought I put them back correctly, but just wanted to verify one way or the other from anybody else.

Interesting - but I hadn't run across that myself, yet. (Give me time...)

Is your rig 1989/1990 and you're using a 1987 AMC FSM? I know there were some changes to the wiring when ChryCo took over for 1988/1989, and that may be one of them. It bears asking...

(Yes, I know I still need to cut out that cowl panel and A-pillars for you - and I'm hoping to finally be able to do that soon... I'll let you know.)

5-90 said:
Interesting - but I hadn't run across that myself, yet. (Give me time...)

Is your rig 1989/1990 and you're using a 1987 AMC FSM? I know there were some changes to the wiring when ChryCo took over for 1988/1989, and that may be one of them. It bears asking...

(Yes, I know I still need to cut out that cowl panel and A-pillars for you - and I'm hoping to finally be able to do that soon... I'll let you know.)

My XJ is an 87.. one of the last AMCs if I'm not mistaken. I think they were just plain errors as some of the pin out labels appeared twice in the same diagram. i.e. F/P relay - "B5" and AIS C - "B5".... Idle air won.

Thanks for thinkin of me when you look at the cowl panel but I'm still struggling with an idle problem right now. (I'll probably post it within the next day or so, I'm getting frustrated with it)

SuperRA said:
My XJ is an 87.. one of the last AMCs if I'm not mistaken. I think they were just plain errors as some of the pin out labels appeared twice in the same diagram. i.e. F/P relay - "B5" and AIS C - "B5".... Idle air won.

Thanks for thinkin of me when you look at the cowl panel but I'm still struggling with an idle problem right now. (I'll probably post it within the next day or so, I'm getting frustrated with it)

Yah - ChryCo bought AMC in 1988, and I think they started making production changes around AUG1988 - just in time for the 1989 model year.

AMC could have made mistrakes in their manual, tho - no-one's perfect!

SuperRA said:
In my manual #8980010547, USA Canada ed. revised Jan 1987, the pin out at the ECU for "Latch Relay" says it's B9 when in fact it is A9 and this is confirmed in the ECU connector chart.

My '88 FSM shows pin A9 on the ECU wiring diagram. Is that what you mean?

1. O2 Sensor
2. Fuel Pump
3. B+ Latch
4. AC clutch

That's how they are on my '88.

SuperRA said:
For anyone that has a real renix wiring diagram (not reprinted from pirate etc, those too blurry) I've found some errors that drove me crazy for a little bit. In my manual #8980010547, USA Canada ed. revised Jan 1987, the pin out at the ECU for "Latch Relay" says it's B9 when in fact it is A9 and this is confirmed in the ECU connector chart.

Interesting catch!. I have the same hard copy, original FSM #8980010547, USA Canada ed. revised Jan 1987, the connector pin outs on pages 4 and 5 are correct, the pin outs listed on page 2 on the MPI system wiring diagram are in fact wrong, so use the pin out numbers/locations listed on page 4 & 5 only.

5-90, this should go on your Renix Power site!!!!!!! I know you have nothing better to do than post this there right? LOL.

Also the diagnostic connector pin is printed as "D2-6" when in fact it is D2-3 confirmed in the diagnostic connector chart on the next page. I've traced the wires on my own jeep and have found these corrections to be true. Other errors that I have seen on the diagram but not verified are pin outs for shift light, EGR, F/P relay, inj #4 & inj#6.

1. O2 Sensor
2. Fuel Pump
3. B+ Latch
4. AC clutch

Aren't the relays themselves all the same part number? In which case it does not matter.

Since your relays are backwards, it is probably another typo error in the manual. I will try and check it one of these days.

Ecomike said:
Aren't the relays themselves all the same part number? In which case it does not matter.

Since your relays are backwards, it is probably another typo error in the manual. I will try and check it one of these days.

Well, I seperated all the relay sockets to clean around them. (yes... i may have slight OCD) So if I didn't put them back correctly, (I thought I did...) then it still doesn't matter, but I won't be able to refer to the manual to find out which is what.

Man that diagram drove me nuts. Find the wire... Ok, its supposed to be at B9... Ok, find out there is no wire connected at B9... DOH!

Last edited:
Hello I have a 89 jeep Cherokee 4.0 I had no spark no fuel. It went to garage and had tow it back home. So I grab my meter and start ohm and voltage testing one wire at a time fixed and added grounds. Like everyone says it is a very bad set up. I studied wiring diagram for a very long time before I started testing. So my b + latch relay is not working if I jump it they way it supposed to be it will fire right up. Connection at ecm is good and the relay has 12 volts from battery and ground is checking out. I understand that it powers computer after key is turned off for about 5 second. If anyone would please send me in right direction I'll do whatever you think needs to be done. Thanks for your time if you think I should post somewhere else please tell me and thanks for any and all help.

Back