• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj from hell

csanderlin

NAXJA Forum User
so my cousin got a xj as her first car. well i desided to help her out and do little things make it safe and a 3 in lift for her birthday. well this where i messed up

i a accel tune up kit new wires plugs cap button. well after install now it is running more rough and missing then it was before. all plugs gapped to .035 and all wires in correct place. here link to what i got
https://www.amazon.com/ACCEL-TST16-Ignition-Tune-Kit/dp/B000QJNA7A

but also did brake job and bearing all way around . she had a shitty brakes before but now it like no brake at all bleed all brakes and new fluid . still no difference. and rear bearing sounds like shit it is filled with new 80-90 fluid. i dont understand done all this hundred times and never had this problem before

I had an issue once with the XJ I've never had before where I bumped the spark plug on the side of the wall going into the block and bent the plug to .000 gap didn't notice until I started it. Worth looking into. Not sure what to tell you about the brakes though. Bad calipers? Hook up all the springs and everything correctly for the drums?

Also what's the year/engine and Auto/Manual?

I can also tell you that a 4.0 is very picky about spark plugs!
Did you get the firing order straight when you changed the wires?

Plug wires are easy for experienced mechanics to mix up too. Probably worth double checking.

The rear brakes on the XJ have to be adjusted so the shoes make contact with the drum easily. I adjust them to the point the drum slides on with a little tension, but spin freely.

If it’s not the adjustment double check the springs and hardware are correct. Rear slave cylinders can go out too.

Bearing sound, do mean wheel bearing or a noise from inside the pumpkin of the axel?
Wheel bearing possible bad or wrong new one. If it’s Where the gears of the axel are possibly it’s starting to go bad. Swap is much easier than trying to find somebody to rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an issue once with the XJ I've never had before where I bumped the spark plug on the side of the wall going into the block and bent the plug to .000 gap didn't notice until I started it. Worth looking into. Not sure what to tell you about the brakes though. Bad calipers? Hook up all the springs and everything correctly for the drums?

Also what's the year/engine and Auto/Manual?

What size sledgehammer were you using to install the plugs?

I have used the Accel plugs before with no problem. Copper core, nothing fancy. Did you use dielectric grease on the plug boot? It is non-conductive and will kill the spark power.

Brakes you have air in the line. Did you run the MC dry? If so you will have to bench bleed the MC and the distribution block too. Do you get drip drip from the lines? You should.

I've never had a problem with using dielectric grease in plug boots.

They barely give you enough in the spark plug wire kit.

How could you overdo it?

Dont know and i usually throw those little packets away. I buy di electric grease and ox guard in giant size.
I usually coat the ceramic with it before i install the plug. Helps with getting the socket off and still lubes the boot.

(Edited to reflect NGK comment, because he is correct) The Jeep 4.0 calls for cheapo, CHAMPION/NGK brand, basic plugs. This is one of those points that I will argue with you on. The 4.0 is a simple engine. It was DESIGNED with the Champion plug. The FSM calls for Champion/NGK for replacements. The dealerships will put Champion/NGK plugs in it. Jeeps like JEEP brand sensors. It is not optional. You have to purchase MOPAR. And 4.0's were designed to run with the cheapest, most basic, champion/NGK plug.

It is my opinion that stories of increased performance/running/horsepower/spark/fuel mileage after swapping for an "upgraded" plug are more related to removing old, worn out and/or fouled plugs and putting ANY new plug in rather than some performance increase from some fancy, schmancy, new-fangled tri-point titanium copper bidirectional nano plug, or whatever.

I have never heard of a 4.0 running poorly using the factory recommended Champion/NGK plug. If it does, something else is likely wrong with the engine or fuel system.

This is just one of those things that I feel strongly about and have experience in.

I'm just some guy with a jeep and I could be wrong.

Last edited:
The ZFR5N NGK was specified for the 2000 and 2001 with the waste spark system.

I use it in all my Jeeps. Renix, Ho and so on.

That said, I have proven on a dyno that some of the gimmicky plugs are junk.

Back