• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory AX-15 Question

jdres123

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a stock 98' XJ 4x4 with a AX-15,its the original with 289k on it and the 3rd gear syncro is out.

Recently I came across a guy selling a AX15 from a 2wd 97 Dakota with the 3.9 v6 for $300 and it only had 55k on it.

From what i've researched I'll need to swap my existing bellhousing over,which is relatively easy,my confusion lies with the input shaft and tailhousing,does it require massive amounts of work to make this work with my t-case?

Should I buy it or wait for a TJ/XJ AX15 to come along?

Thanks!

I'd wait for a 4wd one. It will save you a ton of work

Swapping 2wd output to 4wd is the killer.
If you got the skill you could swap the good gears and syncros to your transmission. It'd be a big job.
Maybe a expert to let us know how difficult dealing with the output is. From what I remember it was a bigger PITA than the gears.

The ax15 & ax5 are transmissions diy'er can service, plenty of books and how to videos. Parts are plentiful too. Not for the faint of heart but not impossible either.

If you can get a Dakota 4x4 ax15 I believe it is bolt up for the Cherokee , with the right bellhousing.

If you get a wrangler ax15 you'll need to swap the back half of the case to get the right clocking for the transfer case, alternatively drill new bolt pattern in the housing to clock it right.
Swapping the back half of the case would the easiest of the solutions IMO.

I've been researching the ax15 for a transplant in to one of my jeeps, No real world experience to back it up, so far just a lot of reading and the getting transmission ready to swap on my garage floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did some searching. Most says it's too much work because both transmission have to be completely disassembled to get the main shaft swapped. If it were me doing this much work to pull the gears and put the good gears in the old housing, but it's probably simpler to get the correct transmission.

Any ax15 92-99 should work, including Dakotas, not sure on the years.
I believe the replacement for the ax15 (NV3550?) can be used as well. But I'm not certain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for all the info,I guess i'll just hold out for the proper 4x4 one. I've been driving it for 4 years with 3rd gone and my round trip commute is only 10 miles a day so I can wait.:cheers:

Back