• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hvac system

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
what year did they get rid of the heater control valve? and is there a way to tell what year the hvac system came out of? i have an 88 and a 90. the 90 has the original and the a/c expansion valve is mounted vertical on the 88 its at a 45 angle. im not sure if that would help

currently my 88 does not have it but i do have the vacuum line that goes to it. but if it had a hvac unit from a jeep that did not have the control valve would i still need it? and if i do need it. where can i get a better one than the plastic ones.

It's a heated debate much like oil threads, but it's not mandatory. Just cap the vacuum line and run it like it is. Make sure your blend door is adjusted properly and you will have little effect of the heater core always being hot.

My 88 had a heater control valve, My 90 had a heater control valve. Both the metal kind, part of a closed cooling system. 91ish (91-96) they brought in the open cooling system with a different type (plastic) of heater control valve.

In 97 they deleted the heater control valve altogether.

When I changed over (both Jeeps) to an open cooling system, I deleted the heater control valve too and ran the hoses directly through the core so it's more like the 97+ cooling and HVAC system...it's necessary to plug the vacuum line if there's no valve.

Last edited:
My 87 jeep does not have one, I suspect it never came with one. My 89 has one that still works, plastic.

I have a WORKING HCV (Plastic) off a '96 If Anyone Wants it.
FREE. Just Pay the Shipping & It's Yours.
I, Surely Won't Miss It!
Did the Delete & have had Only Positive Results.
Cooler Engine Temp's & Less Parts to Fail.
PM me if You Want It & It's Yours.
I'm located in the Lake Dallas / North DFW Area in Texas.
UncleSarge58

Back