• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix 87-90, HO-91-97, 98 & up Fuel injectors?

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I always thought the same injectors used in 87-90, were the same as those used in the HO engines from 91-01?

Is that wrong? I found some very odd (in)compatibility data on fuel injectors on Ebay today. Was there a change in 90-91 and again in 1997-98?

They have some new 6 set injectors for the newer jeep 4.0s for about $65-$70 for an entire set :sunshine:party1: . Not $65 each, but new, $65 for the entire set!!!! But they claim they will not work on 87-90 jeeps, and some claim they only work on 98 and newer, but they look the same?

Well I can tell you 5.0 injectors (bosch 4 holes) fit on my renix harness just fine but I'm using a 99+ intake. I don't know of any compatibility issue with the original intake but there might be. O ring configuration was noticeably different.

Maybe they just didn't know so they put that in there.

Last edited:
3b162b42e9e9713da0855203b28faef3.jpg

I can't give an answer, but I can say that I bought a set of 22# injectors off of E-bay that fit my 90. I think they were advertised for later model jeeps, don't recall. At $70, I wasn't real worried.

As Demonoid posted. The HO motors stepped up the flow rate. The OBD motors stepped up both operating pressure and flow rate.

I'm running "orange top" 19# injectors from a Mustang. Bought off ebay years ago.

The pictures on your listing look right, but the specs say it's the EV6 connector.

I just bought a set of the volvo 280 155 746 injectors. I was was thinking of replacing the pintle caps and inlet screens. But then got confused on how to ask the parts Guy for what i need. Will they be able to look them up with the bosch injector number or do I need to know what vehicle they came off. What about the o-rings, can i just get a set for my stock remix injectors?

I put a set of injectors from a 98 into a 87-several years ago. As far as i know they are still in and running-a bit rich ,he said but running ok.

I have rebuilt several sets of 703 and 746 injectors using this kit: http://tradergreg.ecrater.com/p/10991905/bosch-type-iii-fuel-injector

Dirt cheap and comes with enough for 8 injectors in case you mess up. Use a small trim or wood screw just big enough to thread into the filter basket and yank it out with vice grips. The new ones pop in with slight encouragement. You can also snag an injector pigtail from the JY, hook it up to a 9v battery, and use a cooking syringe/tubing and some Seafoam to flush them out. This will let you see the spray patterns to make sure nothing's clogged.

1990 MJ 4x4, 4.0L with AX/15, 4x4.........

Currently rebuilding the original Renix 4.0 motor (with mods)

I had zero interest in a stroker etc. Original driveline is what I wanted to improve upon. Long block is already reassembled and painted.

Here is the short version of the motor configuration.

bored .40,
zero deck height,
compression ratio is 9.644 to 1.
Original Renix head decked with three angle valve job,
Spring seats machined for Mopar performance springs,
original Renix intake with Renix TB bore to 60mm.
Comp Cam 68-235-4. lift .477/493 duration 254/262
ARP bolts in rods and head,
Melling high volume oil pump,
2001 main girdle etc. etc.

Header choice has not been made yet but probably Banks or Borla or ?

with those engine mods what # injectors would you recommend?

Last edited:
1990 MJ 4x4, 4.0L with AX/15, 4x4.........

Currently rebuilding the original Renix 4.0 motor (with mods)

I had zero interest in a stroker etc. Original driveline is what I wanted to improve upon. Long block is already reassembled and painted.

Here is the short version of the motor configuration.

bored .40,
zero deck height,
compression ratio is 9.644 to 1.
Original Renix head decked with three angle valve job,
Spring seats machined for Mopar performance springs,
original Renix intake with Renix TB bore to 60mm.
Comp Cam 68-235-4. lift .477/493 duration 254/262
ARP bolts in rods and head,
Melling high volume oil pump,
2001 main girdle etc. etc.

Header choice has not been made yet but probably Banks or Borla or ?

with those engine mods what # injectors would you recommend?

I would use the Volvo injectors.
0 280 155 746
They will supply plenty of fuel and give great throttle response.

As for headers on a Renix, you've got EGR to think about and I don't believe anyone makes Renix headers any more.

More importantly, get rid of the "crush" in your downpipe right after the manifold. This will require a muffler shop making you one that swoops back in two 45* angles so your front driveshaft doesn't contact it if you have a 4WD.

thanks Cruiser. I wanted to make sure the #19pounders would be enough given the mods (cam) etc.

I have the original Renix header that is mint, but wanting to provide for a better flow volume out as I will be installing a better flowing air filter system as well. I realize I will probably have to do some grinding/filing to ensure a good fit.

strongly considering elimination of the EGR as I do not have to worry about the air police here.

If I keep the EGR I will have a bung installed.

thanks Cruiser. I wanted to make sure the #19pounders would be enough given the mods (cam) etc.

I have the original Renix header that is mint, but wanting to provide for a better flow volume out as I will be installing a better flowing air filter system as well.

strongly considering elimination of the EGR as I do not have to worry about the air police here.

If I keep the EGR I will have a bung installed.

Do the downpipe mod. Your air filter is plenty fine, but there is a baffle between the lid and throttle body which can be removed.

Back