• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on engine cage

DualPurposeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i'm starting to build my engine cage for my coilovers and ran into a little problem and was looking to get some opinions from you guys.

my A pillar lands right about where these 2 vertical bolts are for the hood bracket so i have 3 options

heres the bracket im talking about

option 1: remove the hood brackets and run a straight tube to the A pillar inside and just use hood pins to mount the hood. the only problem i have with that is having to completely remove the hood every time i need to get to the engine bay (if i do this i will probably get a fiberglass hood)

option 2: bend the tube around the bracket on the inside. my problem with this is it would put my engine cage tube farther inside than i wanted it

option 3: bend the tube on the outside of the bracket but that would be a pretty big bend which i am trying to avoid. it would probably have to be almost a 90 degree bend

i'm leaning towards option number 1 but let me know what you guys think

I would go closer to where te shock is going to land. Maybe build a mounting plate that's bigger then smaller to spread out te foot print where you land your tube. Never built a cage for a Cherokee but I have got a few under my belt.

i moved the vin plate over to the other side of the hinge and ran my tube through there, but my a pillar was tucked up tight to the body by the doorframe.

DSCF3322.jpg

Yes, it's an option. Thank you very much! I'm taking in all ideas. It just didn't look like the same Cherokee, that's all I was saying.

You're welcome bud. Its the same xj I think it might be a different date that XJ changed hands a few times and then found it's way to Washington State and then back here in Orange County were we prepped it until it was rolled beyond repair this year at The Best In The Desert Parker 425... then it was cut up and thrown in the recycling bin :flame:

i moved the vin plate over to the other side of the hinge and ran my tube through there, but my a pillar was tucked up tight to the body by the doorframe.

Unfortunately my a pillar isn't tucked very tight against the a pillar of the jeep, but i think I'm gonna look into some different hood hinges and see if I can find some that will mount off the inner fender or something

Back