• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken NSS bolt, EASY fix!

burntkat

NAXJA Member #1145
Folks, I have a solution for a problem I've recently encountered, and am sure am not the first to have..

I went to R&R the NSS, when doing so I found the bolt that holds it to the tranny sheered off. Much cussing and gnashing of teeth ensued.

If you are super lucky you can get it out- but there's no room, and I'm not that lucky. Besides it's all overhead.

The only solution is to drop the tranny and deal with the problem where you can get to it, right? No...

The solution comes from my favorite Canuckistanian Youtube celebrity, AvE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM

Remove the bolt with cooking spice (this only works for steel bolts in aluminum)!

Basically you build a cofferdam around the part, and in that you make an alum and water solution. Add heat and time- about 30 hours apparently- and the bolt will automagically have disappeared, leaving intact threads.

As always, when you replace the bolt into dissimilar metals, use antiseize to prevent this problem in the first place!

Haven't dsone it on this specific issue yet, but I will be when the kid has a week off from school so I can let it sit for a day or two unmolested. The hardest part will be attaching the can to the aluminum- I think a good scrubbing and then some Goop Marine adhesive will be called for.

Folks, I have a solution for a problem I've recently encountered, and am sure am not the first to have..

I went to R&R the NSS, when doing so I found the bolt that holds it to the tranny sheered off. Much cussing and gnashing of teeth ensued.

If you are super lucky you can get it out- but there's no room, and I'm not that lucky. Besides it's all overhead.

The only solution is to drop the tranny and deal with the problem where you can get to it, right? No...

The solution comes from my favorite Canuckistanian Youtube celebrity, AvE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM

Remove the bolt with cooking spice (this only works for steel bolts in aluminum)!

Basically you build a cofferdam around the part, and in that you make an alum and water solution. Add heat and time- about 30 hours apparently- and the bolt will automagically have disappeared, leaving intact threads.

As always, when you replace the bolt into dissimilar metals, use antiseize to prevent this problem in the first place!

Haven't dsone it on this specific issue yet, but I will be when the kid has a week off from school so I can let it sit for a day or two unmolested. The hardest part will be attaching the can to the aluminum- I think a good scrubbing and then some Goop Marine adhesive will be called for.

Cool trick. I've watched a bunch of his videos, and he's full of good tricks and fun dialog.

Back