• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 xj interior power issues

Maynord

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a sweet one owner 1993 xj country 4.0, 5 speed,4x4 the other day. Everything works great except i don't have power inside to anything that requires constant 12 v. No dash lights, door locks, power seat, radio memory, or dome lights. I ran through both fuse panels checking all fuses visually and checked each one for continuity with a meter, everything checked out good. I have figured out that on the inside fuse panel none of the extra "batt" terminals have voltage but i do have voltage on the ign. And acc extra terminalswhen they are suposed to. Is there a fusable link between the hood fuse panel and the inside one? This jeep is pretty clean, rust free, and none of the wiring has been hacked on anywhere. Sure would appreciate some help here, thanks.

Last edited:
Ok, i found a bad fuse under the hood, i got almost everything working inside now except the dash lights, i have power on all the fuses now on the inside fuse panel, i meter power on every wire at the headlight switch except the yellow and the orange/black. In the process of testing and moving stuff around i got the dash lights to come on and i had power on the orange/black wire, after re-mounting the switch the lights quit working. I figured the light switch was bad so i bought a brand new one but it didn't fix it. I have tried moving harnesses and plugs around but cannot seem to get anything to bring them back. Does anybody know of anywhere else to look? Again the wiring has not been hacked on and i havn't found rust or corrosion anywhere in the vehicle

I'd try turning the headlight knob all the way until the dome light comes on then see where the dash bulbs are far as brightness.

Other than that since you know lights came on once I'd double check the grounds, one slips on the back of the light switch if I remember. The main ground for the dash I think goes to the firewall area near the front door to fuse box area.

Might double check the fuse for the dash lights (inside fuse box )didn't pop when they came on last time.

My first xj didn't have a radio, the guy I bought it from threw In the radio from my old car for me. The ground and another wire look the same so he had the backwards when I turn on the radio at night the inside light would blow the fuse. Of course that xj had all kinds of butchery do to the harness. Only in the last year got it swapped around with a newer harness to fix most of the old woes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back