NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 11th, 2017, 15:02
NAXJA Forum User

Jeep resurrection...need help

So my 99 has been sitting 3 years and hasn't moved. My wife had a baby, I broke the steering and it has just sat since I couldn't find myself to part with it. I really want to get it going and need some advice.

It is on FW 44/60 and the front links suck. They are radius arms and I had planned to go 3 link and actually have heims and an upper mount for it. The stock steering box didn't cut it with 37s and a spool so want to mount a ram assist too. I am looking for suggestions where to mount the ram. I think I need to move the track bar and build a straight one for clearance.

I also plan on replacing gas/fluids/battery but if there are any others suggestions for getting a sitting jeep running again they are welcome.

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...n/IMG_3788.jpg

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...n/IMG_3792.jpg

Last edited by XJRN; October 11th, 2017 at 15:06.
Old October 11th, 2017, 18:32
NAXJA Member

Re: Jeep resurrection...need help

Rather than spend bucks on the 3 link, you really need to get the geometry right on the steering.
Old October 11th, 2017, 21:05
NAXJA Forum User

What do you have on the steering box , is that a drop arm on the steering box because the steering link form the steering box to the right wheel needs to be in the same angle as the front end locating bar . that's what old man is saying
Old October 13th, 2017, 19:15
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post
Rather than spend bucks on the 3 link, you really need to get the geometry right on the steering.
Concur. Radius arms may not be what you want, but they are safe. Sounds like your steering isn't.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old October 15th, 2017, 05:45
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
Concur. Radius arms may not be what you want, but they are safe. Sounds like your steering isn't.
I agree thus the statement about moving track bar. Looking for suggestions where and how to mount it while having room for a ram.

As far as radius arms they aren't safe for the road because the axle was out of a donor jeep and brackets aren't angled right for the arms and there is a lot of binding and pressure on the bushings causing them to fail.