NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 27th, 2017, 08:12
Only Slightly Psychotic

Re: rolled my jeep.. now need help rebuilding

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but if I were to weld on a new roof I think I'd want a cage as well.

Honestly, though, I'd go the donor route. Not counting all the body parts you won't have to swap you may end up with a few nice spares as well.

Replacing the roof, doors, glass, etc. may still put you in the market for a donor.
'87 MJ 4.0 AW4 231 D-44 Stock-ish

Last edited by Bent; June 27th, 2017 at 08:21.
Old June 27th, 2017, 08:46
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
Maybe I'm just being paranoid but if I were to weld on a new roof I think I'd want a cage as well.

Honestly, though, I'd go the donor route. Not counting all the body parts you won't have to swap you may end up with a few nice spares as well.

Replacing the roof, doors, glass, etc. may still put you in the market for a donor.
yeah, I'm definitely getting a donor. body guy looked at it, said it isn't nearly as bad as I described it, that he may be able to straighten out the roof long as I'm not looking for perfection. front and rear passenger doors are ok. Front and driver door needs to be replaced, rear door is actually in good shape, with a big dent in it. none of the glass in the doors broke and other than the driver front, the windows actually still work. front driver/passenger quarter panels need to be replaced.. front clip is surprisingly ok, hood has got dents dings and scratches on it, but all repairable.

Anyway, I'm going to get a better estimate on it as I go forward. As for the roll cage, that's a given at this point. I'm just doing my research, debating whether to go exo or internal. I'm thinking of something like a d&C:
http://dandcextreme.com/extreme-inst...e-kit-install/

but I don't know anything about the pros/cons of internal/exos, nor do I know anything about how strong an internal cage can be vs. an exo that's tied to the bumpers/rock rails. But there is zero chance I'm taking this out again without a cage in it.

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 sbc, crane cam, holly performer intake, Terminator EFI, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:00
NAXJA Member

Honestly, for the money it's going to be to have a body shop fix it, I'd spend that on a new donor and cage it. It will be cheaper and stronger and probably look better.

I'm no cage expert but I my understanding is that exo primary is to save the body from being damaged. With a unibody body work is an absolute PITA. Strength wise shouldn't make a difference internal vs exo, more over what tube you use and how it's designed.
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Honestly, for the money it's going to be to have a body shop fix it, I'd spend that on a new donor and cage it. It will be cheaper and stronger and probably look better.
This is by far the best option IMO, remember that there is always going to be more hidden cost after the initial estimate. Start fresh and enjoy the build.
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:13
NAXJA Member

Quote:
The problem I have is swapping everything over to the donor. It literally took me years to put in the 350, transmission, axels, etc. This was the absolute first run I had with everything in place. I don't have the heart or stomach to do everything all over again. I also don't have the room-- when I originally did this work, I had access to a full shop, plenty of room, and guys with years of expertise.

But I hear you-- what you're saying logically makes the most sense, I'm reacting somewhat emotionally. If I can have the body straightened and fixed and caged for a somewhat reasonable price, I'd really at this point be far more inclined to go that route. If I have to swap everything over... I'll end up with two trucks on cinderblocks in my driveway for the next couple of years.

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 sbc, crane cam, holly performer intake, Terminator EFI, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:23
NAXJA Member

speaking of cages, I'm thinking of doing something like a d&C

Any thoughts on this?

Old June 27th, 2017, 10:21
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
The problem I have is swapping everything over to the donor. It literally took me years to put in the 350, transmission, axels, etc. This was the absolute first run I had with everything in place. I don't have the heart or stomach to do everything all over again. I also don't have the room-- when I originally did this work, I had access to a full shop, plenty of room, and guys with years of expertise.

But I hear you-- what you're saying logically makes the most sense, I'm reacting somewhat emotionally. If I can have the body straightened and fixed and caged for a somewhat reasonable price, I'd really at this point be far more inclined to go that route. If I have to swap everything over... I'll end up with two trucks on cinderblocks in my driveway for the next couple of years.
I gotcha, I'm in somewhat of the point. My XJ ripped apart the unibody at the steering box and is on jack stands. I was planning on plating the unibody and building it up, but having the space and time to do the work is somewhat hard to come by right now.

Are you opposed to just chopping the top off and caging it? Realistically that would probably be the easiest, cheapest and look bad ass.

As for the D/C cage, it looks decent but seems to lack support. Really need some extra support over top if that is all you're running. Would be a good cage if you had a exo that took the brunt of a roll but personally I wouldn't trust that cage to salvage a lot if you flop.
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:47
NAXJA Member

Quote:

Are you opposed to just chopping the top off and caging it? Realistically that would probably be the easiest, cheapest and look bad ass.
Nope, and that may very well be where I end up. Still evaluating options at this point.

Old June 27th, 2017, 13:45
NAXJA Forum User

I put the d&c cage in mine. I through the cross bars away and made mine straight to get the side bars further out. After adding a x at the c pillar and adding a c pillar it turned out well. It shook some so i made extra mounts to my factory seatbelt bolts since i run harnesses anyway. If u run full interior i would exo cage it. Space gets cramped quick
Old June 27th, 2017, 13:48
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyman6 View Post
I put the d&c cage in mine. I through the cross bars away and made mine straight to get the side bars further out. After adding a x at the c pillar and adding a c pillar it turned out well. It shook some so i made extra mounts to my factory seatbelt bolts since i run harnesses anyway. If u run full interior i would exo cage it. Space gets cramped quick
Thanks... I originally felt that I wanted the full use of the interior, but experience has whittled down the amount of crap (gear) I take with me on the trail vs. leaving in my tow rig. The only thing that I think would be helpful ois to still be able to fold the seats down, but even that I can forego. I just really hate the look of the exo, and not sure they're any better than an internal cage (though I'm still researching)

Old June 27th, 2017, 14:13
Three-De Off-Road

If I ever roll mine to that extent, I'm taking off the top, putting in a cage and making it a dedicated trail rig - even if it never gets to "Buggy" state.
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176--National Vice President, SEC President
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2013 WKII (SUZIE)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old June 27th, 2017, 17:09
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
If I ever roll mine to that extent, I'm taking off the top, putting in a cage and making it a dedicated trail rig - even if it never gets to "Buggy" state.
definitely something I'm considering.

Old June 27th, 2017, 19:52
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
speaking of cages, I'm thinking of doing something like a d&C

Any thoughts on this?

How tall are you?

For myself an internal cage is problematic. I don't have enough clearance for my noggin.

This is not an issue for everyone, but is a point worth considering.
Old June 27th, 2017, 19:58
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
How tall are you?

For myself an internal cage is problematic. I don't have enough clearance for my noggin.

This is not an issue for everyone, but is a point worth considering.
I had that problem with my d and c cage. I'm 5'10" ish, and I had less than an inch between my head and the main hoop. I took it out and will be going the hybrid cage route, which imo is the best compromise between exo and internal cage.
Old June 27th, 2017, 21:08
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
I had that problem with my d and c cage. I'm 5'10" ish, and I had less than an inch between my head and the main hoop. I took it out and will be going the hybrid cage route, which imo is the best compromise between exo and internal cage.
That could be a problem, my Seats
one a little on the tall side, and I'm 6'.
any way to modify the cage to accomodate a tall noggin?