• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PLEASE tell me this isnt true!

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
Today I went to plug something into my cigarette lighter and nothing happened. First response was to check fuses, not knowing which one it ran of, I pulled every one. Much to my happiness one was wet. It was brake fluid.

I looked an sure enough my clutch master is leaking. Now only one blade of the fuse was wet, I tried to get everything as dry as possible (didnt see too much at all) I taped a rag aorund the master above the fusebox, and put one above it to stop it from gettnig to the fusebox.

My question is, am I screwed, do I need to replace the fusebox?

Is getting a used master a bad idea?

try cleaning the box with some type of electrical cleaner.

as for the used master cylinder, not a good idea on parts like that (IMO)
you buy used parts that is exactly what you get.... used parts..
not that all used parts are bad, there is just some things that I (personaly) won't use 2nd hand

I had a leaking master. The hard plastic that the fuses were made of just got ate up by the brake fluid. I ended up replaceing everyone of those fuses, even the ones that looked good acted funny.

One of my friends used to have an 85XJ with a leaky clutch master cylinder too. When none of his electronics worked, we just pulled all the fuses and put clean ones in and everything worked fine again. Feel how tight the fuses go in as you replace them, I know on his, they just kinda fell back out after a while.
HTH,
Collin

jeepinandy said:
try cleaning the box with some type of electrical cleaner.

as for the used master cylinder, not a good idea on parts like that (IMO)
you buy used parts that is exactly what you get.... used parts..
not that all used parts are bad, there is just some things that I (personaly) won't use 2nd hand

DOT 3 brake fluid is a relative of anti freeze, hot water, soap and household spray cleaner may work better than electrical cleaner or even solvent.
I use really hot water, dishwashing soap and rinse, blow dry with air. Hair dryers work well for this.
The DOT 3 will melt some plastics (and paints) and sucks up water like a sponge this leads to corrosion.

Be ready to pull the fuseblock apart and clean the heck out of it. My '89 leaked onto the fuses for awhile, and disintegrated the corner of the block. I ended up giving it to an electric shop down in Phoenix to clean up and rewire for me. That was the worst place to put the fuses...

Jim

Back