• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those with iron man mounts or brown dog mounts question inside...

Demolition_x

NAXJA Forum User
I put in some iron man mounts and they are pure beef very happy with them. I know the mounts raise the engine up a little to help drive line angles. My question is I had un bolted my trans mount from the cross member to be able to install the mounts. After installing the mounts I literally had to force the transmission down to be bolted. I have a drop kit on my transfer case. Do I really need the transfer case drop with the motor mounts. I hate to see all that stress in the drive line with the transfer case drop.

What have you guys done in this situation?

Install an SYE.

I have the same thing on mine now for 3 years.No problem at all.Yes if you have a lift and no SYE you need the drop on the cross member.

Get the proper mounts,lift mounts are for TJ's.

I would say about the same. I installed the Iron Man mounts. Side by side with the old mounts it looked like a half inch to 9/16ths.

What really shocked me is that with only the 2 mounts on the motor attached that they held the transmission off of the cross member. I would have thought that the weight of the x-fer case and trans would have made the trans mount sit on the cross member but I needed a c clamp to bring the trans down to the cross member.

x2, why are you people installing motor mount lifts?

i have never had ANY problems installing MORE mounts.... lift the motor, unbolt the old, bolt in the new, align motor and drop into place, bolt in and go onto the next one.

OK, then these are the stock ones and not the lifted mounts.Yep it was a pain but after they are for awhile you won't have any trouble changing the trans mount.The old stock mounts lower the motor down alot and these new ones you got are tuff as nails.

x2, why are you people installing motor mount lifts?

i have never had ANY problems installing MORE mounts.... lift the motor, unbolt the old, bolt in the new, align motor and drop into place, bolt in and go onto the next one.

I was thinking the same thing, but he had BAD mounts to start with(OLD) and he thinks it raised it higher.I guess he undone his trans mount like i did, but i was installing a new one of them to at the same time.

maybe contact ironman for an exchange? i remember his site being needlessly complicated to find the right xj mounts....

1/2 or 9/16ths at the motor mount, is actually QUITE A BIT of lift at the clutch fan, i'd be worried about other stuff.

HOWEVER, i thought the point of the motor mount lift was to delete the need for a t/c drop? raising the motor should do the same thing for d/s angles as lowering the transfercase...?

maybe contact ironman for an exchange? i remember his site being needlessly complicated to find the right xj mounts....

1/2 or 9/16ths at the motor mount, is actually QUITE A BIT of lift at the clutch fan, i'd be worried about other stuff.

HOWEVER, i thought the point of the motor mount lift was to delete the need for a t/c drop? raising the motor should do the same thing for d/s angles as lowering the transfercase...?

Yea but that measurement is being compared to a stock oem rubber mount which is falling apart after 170k miles of use.

I am sure if i held it against a brand new oem mount that 1/4 inch sounds true.

I am going to ditch the transfer case drop and see where it sits and drives.

The mechanical fan has been removed but there is still plenty of space for my electric fans.

Just an update...

Today I took out my transfer case drop and ran around the block with it mounted like stock. It had quite a bit of binding on deceleration and a little during. Def a no go. I installed the transfer case drop again and now I am ordering a SYE, the list just never ends lol.

I noticed the Ironman mounts seemed to lift my engine up as well, but there is plenty of clearance between the fan and shroud and when I unbolted the trans mount, the trans didn't go anywhere and bolted back up just fine.

Difference? I have an SYE and a TnT belly pan which raises the trans up 1" already. Gotta pay to play and your jeep will thank you for it in the long run.

Back