• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New carpets, seat covers and color coding?

Tapani

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I am restoring the 1988 Cherokee Laredo which I bought years ago when living in San Antonio TX.

The engine bay is completely empty, all interior and dash removed. A few spots have required new metal - nothing major, though. Rust proofing has truly made a huge difference.

Now I am searching for a replacement carpet set. So far I've talked to Stockinteriors.com.

The exterior is "metallic navy", but I have no clue what the real color code is. Carpets are also blue, but a light shade. I don't have the build sheet for the car - and there's the badge in the engine bay infront of the drivers side A-pillar. In addition to the VIN it has the following codes:

J639481 12 0171173
17-7 47-C
116-X 139-LA
CEAL 17 2QW

Are any of these color / trim codes? What do they say :)?

The front seat foam is shot on the drivers side and the seatscovers on both front seats. Are these still available?

Any and all help is appreciated,

Tapani
Finland

hmm i also have an 88 Laredo and i suppose it is a dark navy i always thought it was called dark Baltic metallic.

or Dark Baltic Metallic. Code (CE) interior is either charcoal, navy, cordovan, brownstone.

Im going to guess its Navy. but sun bleached. i removed my center console when doing work and the carpet was much darker.

Greets from Alaska,
I am going to ramble a bit; (lol).
You moved an XJ from Texas to Finland.., right?
I am ignorant about how many XJ's are in your land.., but maybe you can find seats from a junked vehicle.., or another similar year XJ vehicle for sale, i.e., for it's parts?

Had to replace my seats that had a broken internal frame which I fixed somewhat, but found better seats from a junked vehicle. Lucky me. Can't recall what year when the seat frame bolting pattern changed, but someone might recall. If way more modern.., some fabricate iron adapter spacers to bolt to the floor, allowing older seat buckets to bolt somewheres into that.

You might have an upholstery shop in your area that could restore your seat(s) fabric with your choice. I would imagine they can 'splice', i.e; glue, and shape to restore the missing foam. Leather would be a nice cover. However consider obtaining full Sheep skin wool covers. Expensive, but quick, and most warm for our long winters. If you go that way, and you have a dog consider obtaining some kind of 'bitter apple' type spray from a pet store in order to dissuade any chewing.

Best wishes.

Back