• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubber or Poly??....

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am using Rusty's fixed LCA's. One of the bushings is sliding out of the arm,... well, it has been like that for quite some time. Anyway, I am in the process of tightening up the entire front end and regear the D30 to match the gears in the rear.
What are the pros and cons of each? I think the loop for the bushings are 2". Maybe drill and tap a hole, put in a zuke and use poly bushings at the axle. I would then grease them to eliminate the squeaks and keep the rubber at the body end in an attempt to keep vibrations and road noise at a minimum.

I found a great grease for poly that seems to stick like crazy and my bushings completely stopped squeaking. Its made by Caterpillar, its called Desert gold.

Poly is stiffer, more resillant, and lasts longer. That said sometimes and some places poly is too stiff... When I bought my OME leaves from DPG, Dirk said to get rubber and NOT polly as my ride quality would thank me. Engine and trany mounts are another place, rubber will ransfer less vibrations to the body and on to you, but if it's a off road rig only and you dont care, poly is stronger. On the other hand I think all the shock bushings should be poly as they take abuse and the shock and not the bushing in that caes is the ride quality factor. Everyone will have a diffrent opinion on the applications, but poly = stronger, stiffer, longer lasting and slightly more heat resistant, rubber = softer (somtimes better).

Poly sucks for flex,go rubber!

If you put poly at the axle end and keep rubber at the body end then it should be just fine. Alot of company's that make long arm kits use solid heim joints or such on the axle end and rubber on the body end.

Replacement factory bushings are like $4 a piece or get some stock control arms from your local Jeep club (everyone throws their stock control arms away when they put on a lift) and use the factory bushings.

If I wanted a Lincoln, I would have bought one!! My XJ is a DD and I am running poly through and through. Rides like a truck and flexes fine! Durability is my main concern not comfort but that is the way I wanted it. You have to build it the way you want it! :cool:

No matter how much I grease them (I tried many different greases) the Poly still squeaks & drives me nuts, In the future Rubber bushings only for me!

garr said:
No matter how much I grease them (I tried many different greases) the Poly still squeaks & drives me nuts, In the future Rubber bushings only for me!

Try the Caterpillar Desert Gold Grease, I could not get my squeaks to go away no matter what I used, Then I remembered the stuff we used on our race car and all the squeaks a gone 100%

FordGuy said:
Try the Caterpillar Desert Gold Grease, I could not get my squeaks to go away no matter what I used, Then I remembered the stuff we used on our race car and all the squeaks a gone 100%

Thanks for the info!! I will give the stuff a try!!:thumbup:

FordGuy said:

Thanks, Is there anyplace I can order a tube online?

ColoradoRaptor said:
If I wanted a Lincoln, I would have bought one!! My XJ is a DD and I am running poly through and through. Rides like a truck and flexes fine! Durability is my main concern not comfort but that is the way I wanted it. You have to build it the way you want it! :cool:

Vibration and shock isn't good for your Jeep or any vehicle. The durability you get is durability of the bushings, not anything else. Anything that saves wear on tear on the uniframe is a good thing.

winkosmosis said:
Vibration and shock isn't good for your Jeep or any vehicle. The durability you get is durability of the bushings, not anything else. Anything that saves wear on tear on the uniframe is a good thing.

Well put.:lecture:

Thanks all. I will stick with rubber.
:cheers:

Back